New to me Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

Reaction score
So I got the Investarms .50 Cal. Hawken, very nice condition with Pristine bore.
Had to do a little work on the set trigger, which is very nice now.
However, the second trigger is a long pull, at least 1/4" or more with no wall.
Not sure how to make it a shorter pull with a wall.
Also need different sights. Same sight T/C uses, I don't like it, I like a traditional buckhorn or half buckhorn.
Also prefer a blade up front not a bead, any suggestions would be great
Anyway first trip to the range it did pretty good, not great but good.
Target holes marked 1 is first group 1.73", number 2 holes were 1.92"
Some cutting of the patches, no burning or blown out patches. Probably should lap the muzzle.
50 yds.
70gr. 777 FF
.490 RB
.018 Ticking
Lamb Tallow and Soy oil.20210131_212321.jpg20210131_113511.jpg

Last edited:
Trigger is cured.
Trigger screw was way to short and tiny.
I retapped the hole for a longer 6-32 screw and adjusted.
Trigger is Soooo much nicer.
Need to cone the muzzle and dovetail the barrel for a more traditional sight.

Thinking of this rear sight and mounting it closer to the lock.
And installing a blade front sight.

Photos_ACF147.jpg

Last edited:
Try it with sabots are Lee REAL bullets , Unless you shoot traditional PRB , In the matches I shot in , you had to have fixed sights and PRB only . I need to get back in it , Good Luck with your shooting !

Try it with sabots are Lee REAL bullets , Unless you shoot traditional PRB , In the matches I shot in , you had to have fixed sights and PRB only . I need to get back in it , Good Luck with your shooting !

I only like shooting PRB.

I had my T/C Hawken 50 re-bored to .54 w-1/66 by Mr. Hoyt and love it.
MikeW

I also had Mr. Hoyt take a T/C I had to .54 and it was great.
I want to keep this one as a .50 though, with a 30" to 32" barrel

That’s not a bad target! When I first started out, I read Sam Fadala’s book where he indicates that a 50 caliber, 1-48” twist barrel won’t shoot a Round Ball or Conical very well. Unfortunately, I took the bait; hook, line and sinker. I spent way too much time trying to find the right gun or the perfect barrel.
1 turn in 48” isn’t as bad as most people think. Especially if you have deep rifling. In fact, it was what the original Hawken Rifles had because that was the only twist the brothers could produce with the machinery at hand.

I knew a guy who could take a factory 50 cal Hawken Flintlock and hit the center of the Bullseye at 100 yards, every time. He was a sniper in the military. A mediocre rifle (not saying the T/Cs were!) in the hands of a Sharpshooter can do very well. A custom rifle in the hands of a mediocre shooter, not so much!

Back