Anyone shoot a M77 Hawkeye?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funman

Reaction score
What are your opinions on this gun? Iv heard all the good things about savage, remington weatheby, and so on, but you dont hear a whole lot about this gun. I like the way this gun looks but dont know how it feels yet. How smooth does the bolt move. I pretty much know all the specs, just want to know if you like it or not thanks

They feel good but the problem is the trigger and barrels. The Hawkey's have a better trigger than the old M77 but still not great and the barrels are a gamble some shoot decent and alot don't.
I have an M77 in 243win that shoot ok and my brother has a Hawkeye in 30-06, his shoots pretty decent about 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups a 100 yards.
I think the action is one of the best personally you can't beat the mauser action.

Ruger started making their own barrels in 1998 after purchasing a hammer forging machine (3 1/2 million dollars) manufactured in Germany.

Ruger lack of accuracy reputation stopped when they stopped using the Wilson barrels. I would rather have a Ruger barrel than a Remington barrel.

Chocdog

Ruger quality has greatly improved the last several years. I have mostly Ruger #1's and you have to play with them to get them to shoot sub-MOA.

Not any more...just work up a load and shoot them. Now if the Ruger #1's are shooting so well the Ruger Hawkeye is a "No" brainer.

The 257 Roberts devotees are getting equal accuracy with their Ruger Haweye rifles as those shooting the more expensive Kimber in 257 Bob.

Chocdog

I`m also looking at them to. i am just not sure which one. I like the Standard-Ultra Lite and RSI(mannlicher stock). Definitely going with a .270

Jack

I looked at a standard 308 walnut stock one yesterday and it felt great, i think ill get that one. Dont forget you get a free carhart jacket too, i down loaded the form off of rugers web site. I really wanted a sporter in stainless steel but no one had them here. good luck

I picked up a 77 II Friday in 358 win. I will try to give you an honest review. fit and finish is pretty good, the stock for a hunting rifle isn't bad, I prefer a palm swell but I guess I can't have everything. Action although not silk is pretty smooth, safety can be let off quitely (you have to really try though). The LC6 trigger, I'm going to end up replacing it but it's decent for probably 80-90% of the shooters out there. The thing is capable of shooting 3/4 groups @ 100 if I do my part.

Yep, those 338 feds, 358 win and such are just to darn hard to find. I've been rolling my own now for around 24 years or so

Well i picked up that standard hawkeye model i will give a report when i get time to the range. The stock is really nice, the bolt still has grease on it so i cant say how smooth it is until i clean and oil it. The trigger not bad at all i may just leave it like it is. Thanks for the input i think ill be happy with this gun. :D

rjhans53 said:
Yep, those 338 feds, 358 win and such are just to darn hard to find. I've been rolling my own now for around 24 years or so

Have you necked up any 338 fed cases to 358??? I ran some 243 cases over a 25 cal Hornady 25-06 die and then into a 260 rem die. It worked just fine

Chocdog

choc-dog, I had problems with 243 to 260 necks started splitting after a couple of firings, much better luck 708 down. However I've had no problems with 308 to 338 fed and going from 308 to 358 so far seems to work fine. The expander in the RCBS dies I have works really good and I think (not sure yet but think) it's actually easier to size to the 358 neck than the 338 if so it probably means the expander is longer.

I am using the tapered expander on the Hornady dies with out any splitting issues on case necks.

Chocdog

rjhans53 said:
I also shoot a 358 and reload for it. For years I used 3031 but this past summer I read an article in Handloader that really opened my eyes. Ramshot TAC w/Fed 215 mag primers. This is truely awsome powder for the 358 and the 338 Fed as well.

fisher I'm having a hard enough time locating LR Primers, I've got a couple hundred of the MLR stashed but sure can't find any around here. Trying to find a doe this week to see how this thing performs with a 200 hornady.

I just shot a bunch of reloads yesterday through the hawkeye, and i could just not get steady. The gun shot fine but i was a mess. All my shots would have been vital shots on a deer, but i really had some fliers that bothered me. I found out that factory 308 winchester soft points had a velocity of almost 3000 fps. That was the fastest bullet i had out thier. i had just figured factory ammo wouldnt be that beefy :lol:

Back