Trying to shoot today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
Well it was a warm beautiful day. Little wind, and overcast. 34 degrees made it nice and warm. So I wanted to shoot. First I had to dig out the shooting bench again and also the target. A cost of living in snow country. Good thing I had shoveled that out a couple weeks ago.

cameradrop001.jpg

I discovered I was so high up off the bench, that I could not get down low enough to shoot off my bench rest. So I got out a set of shooting sticks. My range finder said I was 28 yards from the target, so open sights should be a piece of cake.

I had gotten in some light blue .45 caliber .400 diameter sabots. And I had a box of 200 grain .400 Hornady XTPs. So I broke out a jug of Triple Seven 2f and some CCI Magnum #11 caps. I was shooting a Green Mountain Barrel in .45 caliber with fiber optic sights and a 1-28 twist in stainless steel.

cameradrop003.jpg

The first shot with the .45 was my fault without a doubt. It slipped in the sticks because I had to shoot with the sticks so close to the trigger guard I could not lay into it. The next three were pretty good.

cameradrop007.jpg

I then shot a number of shots with the .45 at old grapefruit, watching them blow up (feeds the birds too) and at other things. Then I decided to break out another rifle.

Since Falcon was having such great luck shooting hogs with 300 grain Hornady XTP's out of his CVA Staghorn Magnum. I broke out my CVA Staghorn Magnum. Then I remembered I had purchased some pure lead cast bullets that were Keith Nose and 350 grain in .430. I decided to try them for accuracy (since they had been sitting on my shelf for a few months).

cameradrop010.jpg

I loaded 100 grains of Graf's 2f black powder and used Winchester W209 primers. The first shot off the clean barrel was real good. It did not seem to float out of the group. And the next three were very acceptable. I was swabbing between shots. This rifle is sighted in for 200 grain shockwaves. You would not think there would be that much difference in drop, but I might re-sight this rifle for these bullets. They would sure be a hunting load.

Dave were did you find those bullets looks like they could really do some damage and should carry up well.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=1459

.25 cents each. When you compare say 15 Shockwaves in price to these. $3.75 compared to $12.99 around here. These are a lot cheaper to shoot. So far I have tried them in three different rifles and they shot well out of all of the rifles I have tried them in.

I am kind of thinking like you.. these might really put a world of hurt on anything you shoot with them. The soft lead should allow maximum expansion and the hollow point should open them up real nice.

Back