New rifle rack

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Built this today in hopes of being able to use it at rendezvous in June. I need a place to put my rifles and bags when I am at camp. So this was easy enough. I cut the cedar poles and stripped them 2 weeks ago and they've been drying since. I used hickory dowels to make the pegs to hold the rifles. Should do the job fine. Holds 3 rifles and a pistol.
95846325_10157630284662875_2580931807641862144_n.jpg
95178777_10157630284792875_7741500159573360640_n.jpg

That's really cool! Should blend right-in with the rendezvous theme. Looks like you can even put a pistol on the top pegs.

That should work perfectly for the field. Plus it looks authentic. :thumbs up:

I like it!
I've seen gun holding tripods, but they were done with finished pieces of wood from Home Depot, not raw pieces like yours.

Makes me think of my days as a BSA Pioneering merit badge counselor.

Nice looking, really in the spirit. Might consider hanging a rock from the lashing point for stability.

Looks good but easy for guns to get damaged with people walking around your stand (have seen this happen several times). That makes it an issue that you'll have to keep an eye on. We have great ideas making primitive looking items that look great (but can't be found in history or are not documented to anything that our forefathers used).

Down the road you'll find looks aren't everything you expected. Just becareful with where you setup your stand so others don't bump it. Good luck with your idea.

I use to have more damn gadgets like this and other ideas and found I was spending more time worrying about them than enjoying what was going on around me. In time you'll figure out less is better Jonathan and will always be that.

time.moves.jpg

Last edited:
Along those same lines, Buck, I tend to over-engineer about everything and get teased a fair amount over it. I do everything humanly possible to protect my guns short of not using them. But working guns cannot live a pampered life - kinda like sled dogs. I learned not to "loan" a gun to anyone not as OCD as I am. Also accidents do happen and I've experienced everything from having a wind blow a flint rifle off a gun rack at the range to awkwardly bumping these long barreled guys while simply trying to get them in the door. It would definitely make me nervous to precariously balance one of mine anywhere clumsy folks might wander by. At home I even have bungee cables strapping mine in in their already secure racks.

Along those same lines, Buck, I tend to over-engineer about everything and get teased a fair amount over it. I do everything humanly possible to protect my guns short of not using them. But working guns cannot live a pampered life - kinda like sled dogs. I learned not to "loan" a gun to anyone not as OCD as I am. Also accidents do happen and I've experienced everything from having a wind blow a flint rifle off a gun rack at the range to awkwardly bumping these long barreled guys while simply trying to get them in the door. It would definitely make me nervous to precariously balance one of mine anywhere clumsy folks might wander by. At home I even have bungee cables strapping mine in in their already secure racks.
Wouldn't you lash riles on something like this with leather boot lace or something with traffic milling around?

No traffic milling around our tents guys. I was the only one in my camping area. Visitors were none whatsoever. A lot of folks around here know to stay away from the guns or they are nice enough to ask if its ok if they can look even though they are not for sale.

If you don't want folks wandering past your rack and tent just gently take a skunk and tether him a few yards from your rifle rack. :eek: :cheers: :dancing chicken:

Jonathan, your rack has character!
I built a rack to take to the range out of leftover trim from a kitchen remodel, some pieces left from converting our floors to hardwood (from carpeted), and slats from an outdoor swinging bench. The rack works, but has no character and is obviously makeshift.
The legs fold in for transport, there are screws in the bottom of the front legs for leveling, and a rope to protect the rifles from falling forward.
Gun rack I built 5-2020 (5)sm.jpg
Gun rack I built 5-2020 (3)sm.jpg
Gun rack I built 5-2020 (2)sm.jpg

Functional if not nice (in just your opinion).
At our range, the benches are all concrete and if your rifle touches one, instant scratch!
Like the foldable features. Going to make one like that for sure. Good job, just add some wheels to mine.

When "The Three Gun Events" started it was a chore to get all your stuff to the line in the time allowed. We started seeing all kinds of wheeled rifle racks, some really strange and a few pretty neat ones.

SCA-003-RTG-Gun-Cart-12-inch.jpgTactical-Baby-Stroller-Rifle-4.jpg

The one on the left was made from plans that was shown in Mechanic's Illustrated. The one on the right a friend made out of a baby cart, turned out pretty slick, but no seat like the other one.

Back