Idaho boy with a couple questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the nikster

Reaction score
Hello all, I just found this site yesterday.
I have a few questions relating to my limited entry permit and how it affects my muzzleloader.
I will be hunting both mulies and elk in Idaho.
Idaho requires loose powder, no sabots, no 209's, lead or lead alloy bullets and a partially visible(at least) cap.
5 or 6 years ago I purchased a traditions lightning fire .50 cal inline.
I was using 2- 50 gr pellets but do not recall bullet weight but do recall using sabots.
I have 6 weeks to work up a load but I am starting from scratch.
I am looking for advice on- bullet manufacturers for lead/lead alloy.
What loose powder cleanes up easiest-is most dummyproof?
Probably using CCI primers unless compelled otherwise.
whaddaya think?

:D :D :D

First off, welcome to the forum. Allot of good guys here with plenty of info. I'm new at this but I can tell you about a powder that cleans up with water and you can also load up another round without having to clean your rifle. I use American Pioneer Powder.( americanpioneerpowder.com) You can get it in premeasured 100gr tubes which makes for easy transport without having to bring along a powder measurer. I use POWERBELT Bullets. They come in varies weights. From 223 to 444 grains either areo points or hollow points or flat nose. I use 100 grs. of APP and a 295 gr. H/P. I have my rifles grouping 2" high at 50 and they are on at 100 yds.
I'm sure you'll have allot of different opinions and I'm sure they all work. I gave you what works for me. Check out powerbeltbullets.com. for more info on those powerbelts.
Good luck and I hope you fill your freezers :!: :!: :!:

Two very good easy to use powders in loose form is Pyrodex RS and Triple Seven 2f powder. Triple Seven is 15% stronger then Pyrodex RS in loose form, so 85 grains of T-7 = 100 grains of Pyrodex, approximately.

I would use Pyrodex RS. I would load 100 grains and since you have to shoot conicals, perhaps some .460 grain Bull Shop, Hornady Great Plains, Thor Conicals, or Powerbelts. One of them should work in your rifle.

the nikster

Welcome aboard, fellow idahonian...

couple thoughts I would share with you..

Projectiles... Of course the easiest way and probably the quickest is to pick up some all lead Power Belts (made in Nampa). These, normally are a very accurate projectile, but in realality they are nothin more that an elongated round ball to get thier weight up. I woul suggest using something in excess of 300 grains and 80/90 grains of T7-2f with a #11 mag cap.

The next and to better answer is get some 'No Excuse' conicals... they are 460 grain hunks of lead made south of you in Utah. He can get them to you really quickly. Shoot them with 70 grains T7-2f

Have not got the web site information for this bullet on this computer - send me a PM if you are interested.

Bull Shop Conicals actully makes the best lead conical but it would hard to get them from him before your season...

If you are interested in these lead slip fit conicals send me a PM.... I am going to use a Rengade sidehammer with a GM-LRH barrel and the bull shops this season.

check out www.muledeercountry.com they shoot Powerbelts all over in Idaho with great success. They'll be testing out some of my Custom Tip Powerbelt inserts this year. I got to test it out on one deer and it worked perfect.

For muleys and the all lead powerbelt, i'd go with the 348gr Powerbelt. Im not very satisfied with the results of the 295 lead powerbelt.

hello to the nikster ..keep it simple to start with ...2 pellets of T7 ,primer 209 of your choice ...bullet BARNES EXPANDER MZ 250gr. and if u do your part [practice on the range] they [the deer] will bang flop ...

black powder

PROBLEM - Full bore lead conicals or PRB only in Idaho during the ML season... no 209's, no optics, loose powder only, has to BP or sub.

because! thats the way it is...

Thanks fellas,
I have read alot about bp subs the last couple of days. I have used Pyrodex pellets in the past was happy with the result. I will likely purchase both Pyrodex and 777 since I have a little $$ for hunting this year. Then I will try both to determine for myself what works for me.

I had previously tried 2 times to order "NO EXCUSES" but nothing has shown up at the house yet-tomorrow I will give him a call. I also intend to pick up some more options at Cabeles as I drive across the country this week.

Do magnum caps get old? I still have some left from before-likely I should replace.

Again I thank each of you for the insight and help. My daughter and my wife and I will post any success we have in november.

got a reply from 'no excuses'

Talked to Dave from 'no excuses' tonight.
Got some bullets on the way to the house.
Dave is a nice guy(he does have something to sell) and I enjoyed talking to him- he seems pretty knowlegable.
Now, I gotta stop by Cabelas on the way home for some powder and caps...

Back