High Pressure Sabot vs. Regular Sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PLEASE READ MY CORRECTION BELOW!!

RAZORBACK said:
GM54-120 said:
Ok thank you. There packaging specifically states "Precision Rifle MMP sabots" so i thought i would ask.

I will just try your Blue 357/45 sabots with the 158gr HP and the 147gr Hornady XTP. Both of those should work in your original Blue. It appears that their Orange is more oriented for their bullets with a boattail and im not happy with the fit at the base of the bullet. Ive used their QT bullet/sabots in 45cal and been fairly pleased.

Your tan 40/45 is my favorite sofar.

Thank you.

Both sabots in question here do load better with a bullet that has a small boatail or fairly large radius on the base. Back in 1983 when I started "playing" with the sabot idea I had one muzzleloader..........a 45 caliber. The 45 I owned had a relatively large bore and groove. Since then virtually all 45's have been produced with bores and grooves a few thousandths SMALLER in both dimensions.

More recently I have had the best luck.....and loadability shooting the blue sabot with Hornadys 9mm (.355 diameter) 147 grain XTP-HP bullet. Experience has also shown it is a good deer killer when loaded over 60 to 70 grains of 2F black powder or it's equivalent. Charges in excess of 70 grains drive this little pistol bullet too fast and it becomes highly frangible.

I like the 45X40 also!!

SHOULD HAVE PROOF READ MY POST!! The last sentence in paragraph one I typed "larger in both dimensions" . Should have said SMALLER!!

sabotloader said:
Chick

It would seem, that any sabot petel, that extends past the load bearing surface of the bullet, and up past where the ogive of the bullet starts, is unneeded.

Other than that extra bit of petal length might help the petals open sooner and more uniform - getting the sabot off the bullet sooner and with less disturbance.

:yeah:

GM54-120 said:
RAZORBACK

Thanks again

I just ordered 6 bags for starters directly from your company. Im starting up a Modern Muzzle Loading supply side biz only for the local shows. There are almost no vendors at my local shows so.......I plan on offering sample packs for starters so folks can try different options without spending a fortune on something that doesnt work for them.

Very few if any of the vendors even have a clue about bore variations and improvements in modern ML components/ballistics.

If you see an order from Scott D. in Maryland Heights Mo. its mine. :D

Have a great day

Scott

Yes I did see your order Scott, thank you!!

sabotloader said:
Chick

It would seem, that any sabot petel, that extends past the load bearing surface of the bullet, and up past where the ogive of the bullet starts, is unneeded.

Other than that extra bit of petal length might help the petals open sooner and more uniform - getting the sabot off the bullet sooner and with less disturbance.

That is my opinion too.

Just slightly past the bearing surface seems to promote a little faster separation.

GM54-120

I shoot mostly HPH-24's and on several of the bullets i shoot they are a lot longer than the bearing point - the ywork great for me...

Another thing that not all consider is the obteration of the sabot as it is being shoved up the barrel... If the petals just covered the bearing surface when loaded - wonder where they might be when shot? I really do get get good clean separation with even the longer petals...

The force being created by ignition, is going to expend upon the base of the sabot, while the bullet inside, will have more gravitational forces working on it. With that said, the bullet will not be zooming out ahead of the sabot, as the powder is still burning and creating more force behind it. If you have good results from the long petals, keep up the good work. But, I contend that anything longer than about 1/8" past the ogive of the bullet, is unneeded. In my rifle, if you have 1/4" or better, the petals are caught between the jag and the rifle barrel, which causes an immediate problem. Everything stops. You can get it seated, but you have to exert so much energy, that it is unreal. I'm surprised the petal is not cut in half. I have examined the sabot after shooting, and it did not look nice. With that said, it did not affect accuracy. As far as bullet/sabot separation, I could understand a small negligibel difference, but not much or enough to make a difference. I have never heard of any problems from this, with the patch patching of bullets in BP relaoding. And those guys are making their own patches, which look like the dickens!

Thanks RAZORBACK

My Sabots arrived today.

Thank you for the quick service and everything arrived as ordered.

Chick

With that said, the bullet will not be zooming out ahead of the sabot, as the powder is still burning and creating more force behind it.

Correct... You may have not uderstand what I said often I don't... The bulletand sabot are a package until they leave the barrel. The thing I think I was trying to say is becasue of the drag and obturation I beleive the petals need to be longer than the ogive if you feel and 1/8 is enough - which I do also very good but the extra length does not hurt a thing. Nobody can make enough sabots to cover the ogive of all the different bullets.

In my rifle, if you have 1/4" or better, the petals are caught between the jag and the rifle barrel, which causes an immediate problem. Everything stops. You can get it seated, but you have to exert so much energy, that it is unreal. I'm surprised the petal is not cut in half. I have examined the sabot after shooting, and it did not look nice.

I know that use to be a problem but the 'spin jag' solved that problem - it does not contact the sabot at all plus it turns with the rotation of tne bullet down the bore. TC 'Super Jag' is sized to work the same way other than unless you buy the spinning one it does not turn with the projectile. There is nor reason for the Jag to touch the sabot.

Another important fact especially if you are shooting .451-.452 bullets - get a sabot that fits your bore - there are many different sizes to choose from. There is no reason in the world to load a sabot that you have to crush to load.

Back