J-B'd the Triumph

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJJ

Reaction score
After reading all the helpful hints on J-B's, I put it too use. I've had a Triumph for several months. Took it out for the first time over the weekend. It was almost impossible to load, wasn't even close with a Harvester SB. The crushed ribs were very difficult. After 200 strokes of J-B bore paste, the crushed ribs are now a great fit. Would take a few more passes to get anything else to load. Thanks for the tip.

That one is really tight. Tell us how it shoots when you get it out. Lee

I just did the JB Paste job on my Triumph but haven't shot it yet. I start with hot water before and afterwards like the procedure in the link below. I did this same exact procedure to a new .22LR I bought last summer and at 50 yards it is a tack driver. Can't wait to see what my Triumph does.

http://www.centerfirecentral.com/lapbore1.htm

Funny how bores can be so different. My Triumph was never really hard to load. Straight out the box it was a tack driver with the 250g Shockwave.

I have fits trying to load my triumph. I just bought a bag of crush ribbed and a box of hornaday low drags. Hopefully theyll help cause the super glides really werent much better than the black sabot the comes with the regular shockwaves.
What exactly does this jb paste do?

Clay
It is a metal polish, it helps get rid of any burrs and used correctly it will polish the inside of the barrel to a mirror finish, Lee

is this something that has to be done before sighting it in for the first time or something that can be done anytime?

Sinced we are on the subject of JB's. Do you guys mind letting us know what procedures you guys use when polishing your barrel. What has worked for you. Thinking about doing this to both my Omega and Endeavor. Just want to do it right and not mess anything up.

Hulions

I think Dave (cayuga) has a procedure written up for this ready to post and like everything else we do it seems we all do it a bit different.

I takes me 4 good strong patches and my loading jag... I liberally oil the patch then apply a generous amount of JB's to the center of the patch and smear it around.

INSERT IGNORE the patch and jag. I then run 25 strokes top to bottom with the one side of the patch. Pull the patch flip it over and run another 25 stokes. Repeat the process with the other 3 patches.

With my 'Spin jag' and a patch it is a fairly snug fit and the spin jag allows the jag and patch to rotate with the lands and grooves in the bore.

Then rinse and really clean and re-treat the bore with a quality bore oil...

What do oil the patch with? I have cleaned the barrel with Hoppes. Never shot befoer but have som JB's. After I run 100 passss (25 with 4 patches) do I clean with a dry patch?

KatsHunter

I just use regular bore oil - the oil helps the polishing process.

do I clean with a dry patch

JB's is non-embedding so it is right there on the surface. I would clean the barrel after the process by flushing and pumping it with a bore mop and hot water. A lot of people do not like using water so them I would suggest alcohol really wet alcohol patches and a bore mop. Then clean dry patches....

I jb'ed an old 30-06 this weekend and I couldnt believe the crap that came out of what I thought was a pretty clean barrel. She shines like new now. I did as the instructions said; swabbed an oily patch thru first and then jb on a patch and swab for a bit, then another oil patch.Im going to try my mk85 this weekend and see how that goes.

Latest posts

Back