New powder horns

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Feathers

Reaction score
Howdy folks
 Here's a few new "old" horns I just finished. They're not fancy, but they're not supposed to be. They're supposed to look authentic. The Yellowish colored one has Birch plugs holding in the cap. The Priming horn has Copper Plated steel nails, the other 3 have solid Copper nails. They all have the caps sealed with a mixture of 80% bee's wax and 20% Paraffin wax. The primer has a 1 grain charging valve (not period correct I know, but convenient) all 4 have filling holes in the cap with 3/8-16 threaded Brass rod (spark proof) and turned finials. The primer has a turned Acorn finial and all of them have fitted pour spout plugs. Two are antler, one is Black Walnut.
I have to weave straps for them yet then they'll be finished, but I couldn't resist showing them off.   https://postimg.cc/gallery/2arxwln5y/
Stoney

Well, looks like you'll get more of my money. I'll need two. Prime and main charge.

OldMtnMan said:
Well, looks like you'll get more of my money. I'll need two. Prime and main charge.
Pete
 Thank you, but I haven't even thought about what to charge yet? I know what guys are getting for them on the American Long Rifles forum, but those boy turn out works of art! I go for period authenticity NOT artsy fartsy museum grade wall hangers. :twisted: Sorry... I have at least 4 more in the works. One is an identical twin to the primer you saw in the link, but since it's not done yet, I can leave off the charging valve? Let me know. Is this where my reply is supposed to be? I'm still screwed up on this stuff. :?: Thanks.
Stoney

I like the home made look. It's way more authentic. Price isn't important right now.

OldMtnMan said:
I like the home made look. It's way more authentic. Price isn't important right now.
Pete
 I'll be reasonable either way. Like I said many times here. I don't do this for the money, if I did, I'd starve. I do it to get to stay in my shop and away from the wife.   :affraid:
Stoney

OldMtnMan said:
I found a way to stay away from the wife permanently. Divorce.
Pete
 I ain't rich 'nuff fer that. Besides, one S/S check don't stretch that far. Fortunately, we don't owe anybody anything. We have no credit cards and our home and vehicles have been paid for for years, but still, not in the cards especially at my age! Where would I find another sucker to put up with ME for 50 years?  :roll: 
Thanks for the support though.
Stoney

Same here Pete, then I hit my head one day and a few years later did it again .... crap [dumb & dumber].  :x

JIMYJAC said:
You should be proud. Very nice work!
JIMYJAC
 I'm not done with them yet, but I surely do appreciate your encouragement.  I have 3 or 4 more here I'm working on. You can check out some of my other things in the store, The Mountain Man Emporium here on the site. Thank you.
God bless:
Stoney

Hi, Dave,
When they are done, I can use a priming horn with the valve. You have made very nice knives, and now you are building fine, authentic horns. Well done!
Ron

RonC said:
Hi, Dave,
When they are done, I can use a priming horn with the valve. You have made very nice knives, and now you are building fine, authentic horns. Well done!
Ron
Hi RonC
 Thank you for your endorsement, it's much appreciated!  I'm not certain about the valve being very authentic? But it's darned convenient. Email me, we'll talk.
God bless:
Stoney (Dave)

If I wanted convenient Stoney. I wouldn't be using a traditional muzzleloader.  ;)

OldMtnMan said:
If I wanted convenient Stoney. I wouldn't be using a traditional muzzleloader.  ;)
Hey Pete
 I'm sorry, did I accidentally send you an email about the convenience of that valve? If I did, I didn't mean to. I assume from your post, that somehow I sent it to you?
Stoney

No, I was responding to your post above mine.

I figure if i'm going to use a primitive weapon I might as well do everything period correct. Within reason anyway.

OldMtnMan said:
No, I was responding to your post above mine.

I figure if i'm going to use a primitive weapon I might as well do everything period correct. Within reason anyway.

Pete
 Now you're talkin' That's what I like to hear!!  :D I'm pretty much of a purist myself, that's why I hunted with a flintlock EVEN through the muzzle loader season when Percussion's we allowed. I've always been in love with the Mountain Man Persona and lifestyle. Sorry about the confusion on the post. I figured that in my infinite stupidity I sent an email to you by mistake. :confused:
Stoney

Love the fur trade era too Stoney. I was always hung up on using the Hawken for it. As you know the Hawken wasn't used by the many mountain men and probably none in the beginning. They used longrifle flintlocks.

So, i'm having a friend build me an Isaac Haines. That is after I save up enough for the parts. After I get the gun i'll talk to you about getting period correct horns, patch knife, bags etc.

Do to too many injuries i'm going to retire from hunting. It's not fun anymore. However, I have a strong desire to target shoot. A couple of postal shoots a month and the spring and fall Colorado State Shoots will keep me busy. That's when I want everything correct. When I go to shoots. It's too far to drive for club shoots, but i'll do it for the state shoots. They have a much bigger turnout.

So, be patient. Let me get the gun built first. I want to put every penny towards it.

Latest posts

Back