New patch knife

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Feathers

Reaction score
Howdy folks, Two Feathers here.
 I have a couple of new patch knives very similar to the one Russell Shaffer got for the postal shoot. Here's the photos of the first one. I'll do the ad text and post the written info later. https://postimg.cc/gallery/15ze604xy/
God bless:
Two Feathers at
The Mountain Man Emporium

OldMtnMan said:
I like it. What's the little notch on the blade for?
Pete
 Thanks. Actually that notch is called a "Spanish Notch". I have NO IDEA what it was originally used for?  I use it as a stopping point for grinding and sharpening. It just keeps me from running the grind off the ass end of the blade. I've done a few blades without it and ended up cutting myself when I used the knife because the cutting edge ran all the way to the back end of the blade.  Every time I used the knife I would slide my hand forward and make contact with the sharp part and cut my finger, so I decided to do the "notch" as a way of knowing where to stop when I grind/sharpen the blade. Like I said... I have NO idea what the original reason was for it, I suspect there WAS ONE, but I'm pretty sure that it;'s more decorative these days? Thanks for your interest! I think I screwed up and posted the same photos twice. I'll need to check?
 Stoney

I'll find a way to cut myself if it's possible. So, use the notch on mine.  :D

OldMtnMan said:
I'll find a way to cut myself if it's possible. So, use the notch on mine.  :D
Pete
 I put that notch on every knife I make. It's more of a convenience for me, than a safety factor. When you want one just let me know. I'll try to get the ad written up as soon as I can. I'll honor that 10% off sale price until Halloween as well, but like I said, it's off after Halloween.
Stoney

What is the price? It will be more like next spring. I need to get the gun built first. I didn't mean to mislead you.

My SS check only stretches so far. The gun is a huge expense for me.

Pete
 I hear ya' brother. I'm on S/S too and you're right... it only goes so far.
 No misleading taken, I understood your situation at the beginning.
The price (in the Spring) will be $50.00+ $8.00 S&H. Don't know if the USPS charges will go up on Jan. 1st. or not, but I'll keep it at $8.00. Thank you for your interest. Let me know which one you want and I'll set it aside.
God bless:
Stoney

"Actually that notch is called a "Spanish Notch".  

Bowie knives were invented and popularized before the American Civil War purely as fighting weapons. Some Bowie knives had a notch on the bottom of the blade near the hilt known as a "Spanish Notch". ... It would save a lot of time as a stopping point when sharping and gives the cutting edge of the blade a finished look.

Its a relief cut so the edge bevel isn't all funky. See how the blade thickens behind the notch? The edge bevel would be really thick there if the notch wasn't present. It also serves to make sharpening easier. It keeps you from hitting the flat metal by the handle is what I have found.

From what I've been told, back in the day the mountain men and such used those notches to help with processing sinew. It was hard to just slice a piece of rawhide thin enough to use for sewing and the like, but if you took a piece of fresh, soft, rawhide and pulled a piece through the notch, you could make it more uniform. 
I've never tried it, but it sounds reasonable to me. Knives today just seem to display the notch to make knives look more authentic to that era.

Mofish
 I have to agree... I never looked into it, but that certainly makes sense. I used to tell my students that I try to learn something new every day, I guess I just did.
When you cease to learn, you cease.
God bless:
Stoney

Howdy folks, Two Feathers here.
I have a couple of new patch knives very similar to the one Russell Shaffer got for the postal shoot. Here's the photos of the first one. I'll do the ad text and post the written info later. Album — Postimage.org
God bless:
Two Feathers at
The Mountain Man Emporium

Hey guys , I have bought 8 knives from Two Feathers and all are the best handmade knives. You can get PC or HC knives or something else just email him . You wont be disappointed.

I have a few of Two Feathers knives. His quality is high and prices are very reasonable.
Ron

Hey guys , I have bought 8 knives from Two Feathers and all are the best handmade knives. You can get PC or HC knives or something else just email him . You wont be disappointed.
Missouri Smoke pole and RonC.
Thank you both for the endorsements. It means a lot to me, and for my reputation.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Back