switching to loose powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sja384

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Last year I bought myself a thompson center omega and was shooting a 250 gr. tc shockwave with two 50gr. 777 pellets. This year I have decided to switch to shooting loose 777 granule powder. Would 85 grains of loose 777 be a good starting point to work up a load? From what I understand the loose powder is supposed to be measured at 15% less than the pellet charge. I am very new to messing with loose powder and was seeking any advice that may be helpful. Thanks for reading this.

I think you are on the right track with that reduction. I would say start out at 80gr and work up in 5gr increments until you find your best accuracy.
My Knight loves 300gr XTPs or SSTs with 80gr of loose 2fg 777 - but every rifle is different so you want to give yourself as many options as you can.

thank you Mark. When I take it out I will start with 80 grains and work up in 5 grain increments to play with the accuracy.

Do yourself a favor and get some tubes to put your powder in. It sure helps when you get to the range to have some premeasured loads.

:D

..... 85 grains on my grain scale is the same as 100 grains in my powder measure. :!: :!: :!: (american pioneer powder GOLD)
Good luck :!: :!: :!:

You might want to try Blackhorn 209. Excellent performance and easy clean up.

I switched to 777 FF this year also. I like that I can play with charges easily. After a lot of testing loads, I found my Traditions Pursuit xlt likes 100 grains about as much as any other load. I was shooting 2 50 gr pellets with a 240 gr Dead Center. My groups tightened up a bit and I am now getting 1-1 1/2" groups at 150 yds.

I found some small plastic tubes at a craft store that are just about perfect for pre measuring loads, so I am finding the loose powder just about as convenient as the pellets.

I tryed the pellets in my in-line year before last and then switched to loose last year it seemed to to better with the loose and I don't feel that it the loose and anymore trouble.

Another tip...Measure your loads over a box of some sorts(I use one of those kitchen disposable plastic ones with a lid.).It can be hard to be neat,and the box will catch spills,and overflows.Then you can reuse what you get out of the box.

Back