early mk85 50cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnyb60

Reaction score
Hi fellows,new here great site. I bought a used mk85 20"blued barrel 50cal walnut stock.It all takes the #11 caps.My question here is can you tell me what twist barrel it has and for those that have one of these what have you found to be the best sabot / bullet combo.I Like and have lots of pyro r.s. powder on hand and have 320 real bullets and370 t/c maxis and 430-240 and 300 grain x.t.p.and green hornaday sabots.This gun has a sieral number in the 297xx range if that helps.This gun also has the good williams ajustable open sites.Thanks for any help and have a great day.donnyb60.

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/huntingtactics/NAW_1007_02/#cont

I shoot 80 grains of powder and a 240 or 300 grain XTP out of my little Knight Wolverine. While it is not an MK-85 it too is a #11 ignition and a great little shooter. Because of the short barrel, there is no need to push more then 100 grains of powder through them. Even that simple 80 grain charge will put the world of hurt on most anything you want to shoot.

My little Wolverine also shoots Shoclwaves really well. Actually it shoots about anything really well. Makes me wonder why I bought all these other rifles.. :D

Thanks for the reply fellows,I think Im going to get some hph sabots and give them a try with the hornadays 240 and 300.The bore on my rifle mic around .507 or 8 so if I can get things tighted up a bit she will no doubt shoot.Im still wondering if I have a 1-28 or 1-32 twist rifleing.I am kinda leaning to the 1-32 because of a thing I read by toby briggs on the early knight mk85.He was one of the first to hunt with itand said the 1-48 twist was almost a proto type he was useing and it was only a veryshort time and number of these built untill they changed to 1-32 and then later to 1-28 witch I think they still R.I wonder if I e-mail knght and spoke to them and gave them the sieral # could they look it up and tell by that as to what twist rate that gun has.Or phone them i have there # wrote on the manual I got with the tool kit and rifle.Ok fellows thanks for the help.Much appureshated.donnyb60.

Reply on barrel twist resallts.

hello rt-con.Thanks for the heads upTryed it and Im looking at 1-28 or 1-32 so Im closer than I was,going to check again though I seem to be getting a little slippage but Im close.Thanks again ,DONNYB60

Donny I have an early "American Knight" with a 22" barrel and it looks exactly like an early MK85 and it too uses the #11 caps. So far my best load has been 85gr Triple 7ffg and 250gr Shockwaves. At 65yrds it will make a clover leaf every time if I do my part. I plan on buckleing down and doing some serious testing with it shortly. I only paid, if I remember correctly, around $90-$100 and I starting to get a real interest in it since it only weighs about 7lb 30z with the scope compared to 9lb 3oz that the gun I hunted with this year weighs.

Johnpb how you doing,thanks for the reply.Does your american have the blued barrel or the stainlss.What is the twist rate in your barrel and what doese the bore mic out at.Mine mics at .507or8 and is 1-32 twist rate.I have some hph12 sabot and some 300 x.t.p.comeing and I think they will be the ticket for this knight.My barrel measures 22" from the front to were you place the cap on the breech plug nipple.So I call it 20" barrel.Ok thanks again and will wait for your repl.Thanks again.donnyb60.

Latest posts

Back