Problem with Green Mountain Drop-In Barrel.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

58hawken

Reaction score
I bought a 54 caliber smooth bore Green Mountain drop-in barrel directly from Green Mountain. When I put it in my Thompson Center Hawken stock the hammer did not line up with the nipple. The front of the hammer hit right in the middle of the nipple. I took the rifle to a gunsmith to have the hammer bent. He said the problem was that the hole where the nipple went into the breechplug had a heli-core crookedly inserted into it, and thus the nipple was coming out of the breechplug at the wrong angle. A heli-core is a liner used to rethread a hole for one reason or another. Why did the original nipple hole have to be rethreaded? I wrote Green Mountain a letter, and emailed them, but I have not heard back. I am very disappointed. I have three other drop-in barrels, and none of them have a heli-core to insert the nipple into.
My other drop-in barrels lined up correctly with the hammers with no adjustment needed. I was wondering if the barrel is a second, or maybe just reworked at the factory. Anyway, the bottom line is that I have a rifle I can't shoot, and don't know what to do. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Any suggestions?

Yeah. Return it to GM for installation of a proper breech plug or return of your money. I would not accept such a barrel.

A while back there were a number of barrels that were threaded wrong. Instead of replacing the bolster they put that insert in the nipple to thread it properly. It sounds like yours was not done right.

Call Green Mountain Barrel and talk to Kerry Smith. She will help you out.

Notice to owners of our Black Powder "Drop-In" barrels: There is a possibility that the nipple on your rifle is defective. Metric threaded nipples were inadvertently installed in some barrels instead of the proper 1/4-28 threaded nipples. The serial number range in question if for percussion barrels # 030672 - 031352. Do not fire this rifle. Please contact us at 603-447-1095 x18 or [email protected] to arrange return shipping. The barrels will be inspected and if found compliant returned. If they are discrepant the breach plugs will need to be replaced so bear with us as this may take a while to complete. We apologize for the inconvenience.

To ensure our customer satisfaction we provide the return and/or refund of all products.
Instructions for Return:

Please call Green Mountain prior to returning your merchandise to obtain specific instructions. These instructions are designed to assure you the best possible service and fasted response possible. If for any reason you should have to return a rifle barrel, please use extreme caution and make certain that it is unloaded.

Package the item securely to prevent damage in transit.
Ensure that a letter is securely and obviously attached to the product. This letter should include your full name, address and telephone number, where you can be reached during both normal business hours and at your residence. Include a thorough description of the problem that you encountered with your barrel so that we make proper repairs. Please make your letter as clear as possible (using diagrams, if desirable); please type or print legibly.
If you are returning your barrel for reasons other than a factory defect there will be a 20% restocking fee.
If there is a defect with your barrel you can return it for inspection. We will then make the proper repairs or replace your barrel.
Please send your barrel prepaid parcel post or UPS insured. COD shipments will not be accepted.
Send your merchandise to Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Company PO Box 2670, 153 West Main Street, Conway, NH 038918-2670

thats one of their recall things. They tried doing a cheap fix. Just send it back.

Watch out for the new ones again, they installed the .75 italian sized nipples into a 1/4-28 American thread. Its best to take the stock nipple off and throw it out if you are not sure about it.

It's actually a Heli-coil. While the product is highly reguarded in the aerospace industry, it isn't a good fix for a bad breechplug.

From GM's site:

Notice to owners of our Black Powder "Drop-In" barrels: There is a possibility that the nipple on your rifle is defective. Metric threaded nipples were inadvertently installed in some barrels instead of the proper 1/4-28 threaded nipples. The serial number range in question if for percussion barrels # 030672 - 031352. Do not fire this rifle. Please contact us at 603-447-1095 x18 or [email protected] to arrange return shipping. The barrels will be inspected and if found compliant returned. If they are discrepant the breach plugs will need to be replaced so bear with us as this may take a while to complete. We apologize for the inconvenience

Back