NEW PATCH KNIFE WITH BALL STARTER & BUILDING A SHEATH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stoney, fill the void in the middle of the ball starter with bees wax (that would be correct for a period knife). Take a new picture after you have done this.

Buck Conner said:
Stoney, fill the void in the middle of the ball starter with bees wax (that would be correct for a period knife). Take a new picture after you have done this.
Buck
 Thanks, but I'm not sure I follow you? You want me to fill the divot with melted bee's wax? I went to a lot of trouble to make that divot exactly 1/2" in diameter so it would cradle a .50 cal round ball. I thought the idea behind a ball starter to match the ball curve????? Tell me if I'm wrong and why....please.
Stoney

No, bee's wax in the bottom of the core (ruff) area of the divot. Your just filling bottom of the divot.

bee_s_wax.jpg

Buck Conner said:
How's this? I know it's a little ratty looking, but it's filled with bee's wax! I could probably clean out the bottom with a Dremel and sanding stone and maybe add a drop of colored epoxy so the base doesn't show?
Stoney
https://postimg.cc/gallery/3bi7k5gxy/946e6c03/

Buck Conner said:
Smooth out the side of the bee's wax and your good.
Thanks Buck
 I kinda' figured that would be your next comment? :thumbs up:  I realized it as soon as I saw the picture. Will do, thanks. Now I just need a sheath, any ideas on that?
Stoney

Buck Conner said:
Stoney how much for a sheath for my small patch knife you made me ?
Buck
 I can make you one for $40.00. What style do you want? I need the specifics, lace, or stitched with artificial sinew, calf hide or veg tanned leather, spots, no spots. The one I'd make looks just like the ones I just posted. That's the style that works for that knife design. I thought you wanted to make your own sheath out of rawhide?
If you go with the style for your knife, then I can have it in about 3 days and on it's way, as long as I stay alive. If I die, it may be a little later. :shock: :twisted:  Let me know. Thanks.
Stoney

Ha! that's pretty awesome that ball starter in the handle like that. I've never seen that before.

FrontierGander said:
Ha! that's pretty awesome that ball starter in the handle like that. I've never seen that before.
Frontier Gander
 Glad you like it!! I think I saw one similar to it in a museum? But I can't say for sure? Maybe it was all in my imagination? Thanks again for posting my ads to the store. I have some powder horn photos to show. Be good.
Stoney

Stony I see what happened and its no huge deal, I've done it myself over the years lol.

Rather than replying, you edited his reply and put your reply just below his.

FrontierGander said:
Stony I see what happened and its no huge deal, I've done it myself over the years lol.
Damn the boss makes mistakes, boy that makes us feel better...  :affraid:   :cheers:   :sleep:

Buck Conner said:
FrontierGander said:
Damn the boss makes mistakes, boy that makes us feel better...  :affraid:   :cheers:   :sleep:
I did it too when I was a mod. I usually check my posts and would catch it. That's why I knew what Stoney did. Only a mod can do it.

FrontierGander said:

Rather than replying, you edited his reply and put your reply just below his.
Frontier Gander
Thanks, but how do I do it right then?
Stoney

Make sure you click on the "Quote" button. You're clicking on the "Edit" button. Only a mod see's that button.

After clicking on the quote button make sure what you type is below the yellow box that you quoted.

Try it on this post.

OldMtnMan said:
Make sure you click on the "Quote" button. You're clicking on the "Edit" button. Only a mod see's that button.

After clicking on the quote button make sure what you type is below the yellow box that you quoted.

Try it on this post.
OK Pete
 Is this better? It's odd because I don't always see that edit button? It only seems to show up occasionally? Thank you buddy!
Stoney

Buck Conner said:
48_1_1200.jpg
This style would be a good choice.
Hi Buck
 I'm already on it. Just did a new pattern and unrolled a fresh 7-8 oz. Veg tanned hide. Now I just need to get cuttin'.
Thanks for the motivation.
Stoney

Latest posts

Back