New Lyman made by pedersoli

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'm glad they got rid of Invest Arms. I hear the new Pedersoli Great Plains rifle is going to be about $200 more than current production models. That hurts.

I have only handled a few Pedersoli's Rifles, 1 expensive one that I wasn’t impressed with at all. I own a Pedersol Hawken “Hunter” in .50 Cal, 1:24 Twist. It is a Meat & Potatoes Type Gun, Nothing Real fancy. But I like it for what it is.

The Higher end Rifle i worked with was for a Friend that had Purchased it, it was one of these, a .451 Pedersoli Volunteer “Target“ Rifles, I WASN’T IMPRESSED AT ALL!! In Fact, i was downright Disappointed in it, EVERYTHING about it!
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...16/product_name/PR3150+VOLUNTEER+TARGET+RIFLE
This thing was a HUGE Disappointment in my opinion, The NON adjustable Single Trigger pull measured 7 pounds on my Trigger Pull Scale, It was HORRIBLE at Best. And This was a Target Model at about 1,800 Bucks at the Time. The Target sights were CHEAP, and Came in a Box unassembled, i had to put it together, I even had to Drill Holes That Pedersoli didn’t do. The Parts/Furniture were “Stamped“ pieces, you could easily see the Seems when you removed a Piece (like the Trigger Guard) My Cheap Pedersoli Hawken Hunter (not really cheap, they sell for 700-800) Was EVERY Bit as nice as this 1,800 Dollar Target Rifle, in fact i wouldn’t have Traded my Hawken Hunter for it, NO WAY!

I would have been SICK if i had Bought this Rifle at 1,800 Bucks. Up until this, i had always wanted a Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken, But NOT after Working with this .451 Volunteer.

Never knew there was an issue with Invest Arms barrels. Own an Invest Arms left handed .50 caliber rifle for better than 20 years. Someone made a mess of mounting a scope on the barrel(off center holes) and after deer season the local gun shop had a $100 price tag and accepted $75. Can not even began to count the buckets of range lead I melted down, recast to .50 and sent down range over the last 2 plus decades. This rifle is a tack driver. A few years ago I found out they made Lyman rifles and picked up a .54 Deerstalker barrel that dropped right in. Mounted Lyman's globe front sight & aperture rear sight on the rifle and set out to see what it would do. This rifle prints 5 leaf clovers at 100 yards if I do my part. It has taken a deer (or 2) a year, & a few boars to boot. Have owned a lot of rifles over the last 40 years, & the rest are gone and my Invest Arm lefty still here. Know I'd regret selling it. Not sure what the barrel issue might be, but these 2 barrels over 15 years apart in manufacture are tack drivers. The latter Deerstalker's barrel finish is not as nice as the original, with a little less time spent on the exterior metal polishing prior to bluing. The rifling is cut nicely with no patch cutting. The loads especially hunting ones are stout, with no signs of `lack of quality. Have owned Thompson Center, Pedersoli & others, they are all long gone & my inexpensive Invest Arms is still here.

Never knew there was an issue with Invest Arms barrels. Own an Invest Arms left handed .50 caliber rifle for better than 20 years. Someone made a mess of mounting a scope on the barrel(off center holes) and after deer season the local gun shop had a $100 price tag and accepted $75. Can not even began to count the buckets of range lead I melted down, recast to .50 and sent down range over the last 2 plus decades. This rifle is a tack driver. A few years ago I found out they made Lyman rifles and picked up a .54 Deerstalker barrel that dropped right in. Mounted Lyman's globe front sight & aperture rear sight on the rifle and set out to see what it would do. This rifle prints 5 leaf clovers at 100 yards if I do my part. It has taken a deer (or 2) a year, & a few boars to boot. Have owned a lot of rifles over the last 40 years, & the rest are gone and my Invest Arm lefty still here. Know I'd regret selling it. Not sure what the barrel issue might be, but these 2 barrels over 15 years apart in manufacture are tack drivers. The latter Deerstalker's barrel finish is not as nice as the original, with a little less time spent on the exterior metal polishing prior to bluing. The rifling is cut nicely with no patch cutting. The loads especially hunting ones are stout, with no signs of `lack of quality. Have owned Thompson Center, Pedersoli & others, they are all long gone & my inexpensive Invest Arms is still here.

Yea, they DEFINITELY had problem. It’s a well known deal, all over the internet, on every Gun forum known. Breaking at the Breechplugs, Investarms is who made the Barrels for the Lyman Great Plains Rifles

Here is Lyman’s Recall
https://www.lymanproducts.com/recall/
VuRohm8.jpg

Sb6Onfy.jpg

VSsgc1H.jpg

I have a Lyman Great Plains “Hunter” Rifle in .54 Cal (1:32 Twist) That I Bought Brand new, Mine was NOT in the Recall. I also have a .54 Cal 1:60 Twist Roundball Barrel that i Swap back n Forth, it is NOT in the Recall either. I like my Lyman GP Rifle, It did take some minor Modifications and Time shooting it to grow on me though. Mine is VERY Accurate, Both the Bullet Barrel, and the Roundball Barrel. I have the Lyman 57 Tang Peep on my Rifle, and Lyman Globe Front Sights on Both Barrels

I know a guy here in this little town that i live in that Bought a Brand New Lyman Great Plains Rifle after seeing mine Shoot, He Ran over to Buffalo Arms and bought a Brand New .50 Cal, As Quick as the News broke on this Barrel RECALL Deal, I contacted him and had him Check his Serial #, SURE ENOUGH It was in the RECALL, By 1 Or 2 Numbers!! That’s no joke! The Recall Starts at A 596756, His Rifle Serial # is 7 or 8 at the End. Talk about Unlucky! The last time i Spoke with him, he stil hadn’t Sent it back yet, He hasn’t Shot it, Nor was going to, Just got Bummed out over the Whole deal and hasn’t Sent the Gun Back?

I'd definitely send the barrel back and have them send a new one. I've owned a few CVA, pedersoli and Traditions guns and the barrels were always excellent; but that was several years ago. More automobiles get recalled than guns.

I'd definitely send the barrel back and have them send a new one. I've owned a few CVA, pedersoli and Traditions guns and the barrels were always excellent; but that was several years ago. More automobiles get recalled than guns.

I agree Hanshi, if it was my Rifle I would have sent it back the Day i heard of the Re-Call, But since it’s not my Gun, All I could do was tell the Guy, and advise him to Send it Back. One of them “You can lead a Horse to Water” Deals :)

Yea, they DEFINITELY had problem. It’s a well known deal, all over the internet, on every Gun forum known. Breaking at the Breechplugs, Investarms is who made the Barrels for the Lyman Great Plains Rifles

Here is Lyman’s Recall
https://www.lymanproducts.com/recall/
VuRohm8.jpg

Sb6Onfy.jpg

VSsgc1H.jpg
So, truthfully, it's not really a "barrel issue" at all, but a breech plug problem.
I have several Investarms Lyman & Cabelas rifles, the oldest nearly 40 years old & the newest about 7 & the barrels are all first rate. Never had a problem with any of them.

I agree Hanshi, if it was my Rifle I would have sent it back the Day i heard of the Re-Call, But since it’s not my Gun, All I could do was tell the Guy, and advise him to Send it Back. One of them “You can lead a Horse to Water” Deals :)
It's apparent by the photos and recalls, that their quality has gone to hell over the years. What a shame.

I bought a Great Plains 54 cal flint kit a few years ago and they forgot to machine barrel for the wedge tenons . Had to wait about 2 months to get new barrel ,they had to receive old barrel and then inspect it before they would ship it to me.lyman barrel.jpg

I bought a Great Plains 54 cal flint kit a few years ago and they forgot to machine barrel for the wedge tenons . Had to wait about 2 months to get new barrel ,they had to receive old barrel and then inspect it before they would ship it to me.View attachment 2340

WOW! They aren’t even Dovetailed in, they are Simply Spot type Welded on. How in the Heck could that have gotten out of their Building like that?

They are dovetailed on the new barrel that they sent me. After all the waiting it turned out to be a great shooter The wood doesnt have any fancy grain but its a solid gun after I got to build it after I finally got to brown it.

They are dovetailed on the new barrel that they sent me. After all the waiting it turned out to be a great shooter The wood doesnt have any fancy grain but its a solid gun after I got to build it after I finally got to brown it.

Both of my Lyman GP Barrels have Spot Welded on Wedge key Lugs, Which is Something that has always bothered me, I have read Threads about them Breaking

Like this one
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/broke-off-barrel-lugg-on-gpr-rifle.98157/

Lots of sarcasm and bitching about Lyman here. I for one see this at an attempt at changing and improving things. I'll wait and see. I for one am glad they are seemingly attempting to up the quality. That can't hurt. The GPR has been a good one along with their Trade Rifle.

Latest posts

Back