New Lyman Great Plains Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

Reaction score
Thinking about making a purchase for a new Lyman GPR in .50 Cal.
This is the new model made by Pedersoli and they are in stock.
Yes, the price is probably to high but other than that what do you think?

Never mind,
Just found out it is 1:48 and not 1:60
Also think I read it is shallow groove of .006
To bad Pedersoli doesn't do a proper RB twist/groove for a 50 Cal.
I'll just try to find a nice older GPR.

OK, Now I am confused.
Lyman answered my email and said 1:60
However the companies selling it and a gun rag review said it is 1:48
Look like I will have to call them and talk to a tech.

Hylander, I emailed Perdersoli last year re that very subject, thinking there was a market for a slow twist .50 other than the Lyman. Here was their reply:

Dear Mr. Xxxxxx

Thank you for your inquiry.
We do apologize for taking sometime to answer you, but we wanted to extend your inquiry to some shooters using Pedersoli's guns, who are in contact with us.

They found the inquiry good and interesting, such to ask it, too:

"Why does Pedersoli build an absolutely gorgeous Hawken rifle, one that would look wonderful at any rendezvous or competition, and not offer it in a suitable "round ball" barrel in 50 caliber."

"The finest Hawken rifle in production should also have a barrel available in the most popular caliber and twist rate for the sport the rifle is best suited for."

Well we will certainly consider this possibility.

We appreciate your confidence in our guns.

Best regards,
Customer service

DAVIDE PEDERSOLI & C.
Via Artigiani, 57
I-25063 GARDONE VALTROMPIA
(Brescia) Italy
ph. +39 030 8915000
fax +39 030 8911019
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/guns-for-sale-pedersoli.asp?

Fyi: the two quoted statements above were probably from an Italian shooter and not my words, I don't speak like that. Anyway I was able to snag a 20 (?) year old Lyman r/b shooter (from 24 hour campfire) in excellent condition and it shoots lights out.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that 1:48 twist, especially with .006" rifling, thats deep compared to most 1:48 twist barrels.

.006 will work but I prefer .010 to .012
All the T/C Hawkens I have had were all .004 and were a pain to get to shoot without having a
super tight fitting patch and ball.
The Investarms Hawken in .50 with 1:48 that I am going to pick up from work is .010
Bore is near perfect, Lock needs some TLC.

I had one those rifles years ago and traded it for a down payment at a gun store on a .300 wby vanguard. It wasn't all that traditional having a rubber butt pad but it shot very well. When I traded it I gave them a 100 yd target of about 3 or so inches.

There were many Hawken rifles that were 1:48 and my first custom rifle used a Lyman/Investarms .54 barrel that would shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards. I don't know about the current Pedersolli barrels but in my experience the Investarms barrels needed around 100 shots or some polishing of the bore in order for the best accuracy to be achieved.

My 58 cal Pedersoli Kodiak Express is 1/48 twist and it does just fine with round balls or Lee REAL cast bullets and my Kodiak Safari in 72 cal is 1/75 twist only shoot round balls in it .

Latest posts

Back