New LAKE TROUT Record in New Hampshire...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colorado has you beat Marty. Check out this 50lb fatty.

AT_AT200710070605006AR.jpg

I’m surprised it even fit through the hole! I’d be nervous bringing in something that big by hand.

Monster. I think the biggest Lakers come from Canada?
Lake Trout are native to Canada. When you consider some of the larger "natural lakes" in Canada (i.e., GREAT BEAR LAKE ) you're probably right.

I’m surprised it even fit through the hole! I’d be nervous bringing in something that big by hand.
Apparently Thomas Knight was no rookie angler. It takes a well-seasoned veteran angler to land such a fish where others have failed.
I once watched for nearly 10 minutes my fishing buddy try to pull a pumping whopper up from the bottom. The fish broke-off and we never saw what it was. I look back and surmised he got impatient and tried to "horse-it-up".

The world record laker is 102 lbs but I can't find out where it was caught.

Massachusetts record 25 lbs 7 oz from Marty's favorite pond a couple of years ago.

The world record laker is 102 lbs but I can't find out where it was caught.
The world record 102 lb. trout was caught with a gill net. The largest lake trout caught on a rod and real was 72 lbs. caught at bear lake in Canada, eh?

How do you define the greatest Marty?
Greatest only in terms of records.

Here are some current Northeast Lake Trout Records in my neck-of-the-woods. MA(2016-25 lbs.), CT(1918-29 lbs.),PA(2019-31 lbs.),VT(2003-35 lbs.),NH(2020-37 lbs.) and NY(2003-41lbs.).

Now for example… take alias master “Fisherman-Joe”. I took Joe out fishing last week and he catches a 26 lb. Lake Trout in MA. We go out again later that week and he catches a much heavier 36 lb. Lake Trout in NH. Joe had both mounted in his man-cave and both are great fish no-doubt to admire. But if one of those two catches were mine, I’d take the "once-in-a-lifetime" 26 lb.-er and the status that goes with it. To me pursuing any record fish will always provide the greatest of challenges. Other than the occasional “got-lucky-first-timer”, it seems that most record fish are caught by a seasoned, veteran fisherman. Many record fish are hooked but not landed.

Aren't you assuming record fish are lucky catches and not caught by a veteran fisherman?

I find catching big fish a pain in the butt. I used to go to a tailwater that has some huge trout. When caught you have to run downstream with it to keep it from breaking off. I'd prefer to just catch 18"-20" trout that I can stand in one spot and land it. I call them old man fish.

Aren't you assuming record fish are lucky catches and not caught by a veteran fisherman?...
No. My point being record catches are both those that are skill and a little luck..vs. those that are luck and a little skill. Difference being whether the species record was "pursued" by the angler.

Seems I'm always a little off in my methods compared to many on this forum. My idea of a good day fishing is when the ice melts and the road finally opens up to Hog Park reservoir, My wife and I go up there to catch stockers in the 14 to 18" range all day long. Keep about 6 for the pan. crimp the barb, worms on the bottom (dare I mention bait?) I sit on a 30 pack of Keystone Light and when my butt hits the ground it's time to go home, she drives. I don't have the patience or skills to flyfish tho it's the preferred here where the Encampment a North Platte are wed, artificials only from town North. Lotsa river guides and drift boat rentals available. I've taken many a scenic float with friends with just my camera so as not to endanger the other passengers with my back cast.

No. My point being record catches are both those that are skill and a little luck..vs. those that are luck and a little skill. Difference being whether the species record was "pursued" by the angler.

Of course, luck is involved with catching record fish. However, i've never caught a laker if I was fishing for trout. Two different methods and lures. So, I doubt anybody caught a record laker here without pursuing it.

Then again i've never went after record fish no more than I go after big antlers. Dad brought up me and my brother to not brag about anything.

Any catch is pure luck.

Any catch is pure luck.
Muxzzleloader48, If you truly believe that, fine. but.............After 55 years of fishing , I know that is not true. Just like it's not true about hunting. Yes it can take some luck, but "pure luck", I couldn't disagree more. Respectfully of course .

Latest posts

Back