Montana X-treme Bison

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
50 yard bench rest 15? slight wind 1mph, overcast, snowing
White Bison .504 Simmons Pro Diamond 4x32mm scope
500 gr Bull Shop Conical .504 diameter sized in Lee sizer
90 gr of Pyrodex RS & Triple Seven 2f
80 gr of Pyrodex RS & Triple Seven

Due to the warm weather and lack of wind.. I figured it would not be too bad shooting today. Granted it was snowing pretty good. I also loaded all the powder charges in Lane Tubes for easy loading. I had ran a box of Bull Shop conicals in 500 grain through my Lee Sizer the other day, because the Bison really likes that diameter conical. So I figured I was all set.

bison013-1.jpg

90 grains of Triple Seven 2f was used there. I wanted to see if the Montana X-treme bore conditioner would hold that first shot. So I dry patched the barrel without Windex or alcohol and popped one #11 cap to check for fire channel, before I started the test. I did not swab during the four shots. I also never noticed a crud ring of any kind when loading the other shots. I was more then happy with that group. Especially since I normally shoot 80 grains of Triple Seven. 90 grains would be a load good enough for about anything IMO.

bison014-2.jpg

I laid a clean patch on my tongue to just get a little moisture on the patch (since my cleaning solution spray nozzles tend to freeze closed in this weather) and went to check the first four shot group. I then swabbed the barrel with a very lightly moistened spit patch. There was no crud ring from the Triple Seven. I then shot this three shot group with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS. I would have shot more but I was sure I saw good old Murphy hiding in the woods and did not want to blow that group.

I then swabbed the barrel again with the same spit patch and shot off about fifteen more rounds into various targets. I actually swabbed one more time before the patch came apart.

During our cold snap I had made colored ice chunks. I used small plastic containers and set them out in the -30 degree weather. So I was setting them up on the back stop and splattering them all over the woods. It was a lot more fun then paper punching.

So far this Montana X-treme bore conditioner seems to hold the first shot into the group. Also swabbing is very easy. Whether this bore treatment is the cause is hard to say in the Bison's case because this rifle really is a gentleman on the range about swabbing, and shooting dirty. Also these Weaver quick release rings came back to true zero real well. The weaver are a lot cheaper then the Warne.

The rifle cleaned easy (as normal) and I treated the bore with the Montana X-treme again. So we will see how it does at the next range session.

cayuga

Shoot! I forgot to say over on HN those targets are some awful fine shooting...

I hope you continue to experiment with the MX as it is nice to be able to share notes...

So far, this stuff really seems to make a difference in the fowling. I have a couple more rifles treated with it, so I will be shooting them next week.

canuga which one did you use?
Bore tretment/solvent
or Bore Conditoner
are both

Cayuga

excellent shooting. looks like you have found a good combination there. as an owner of a White Bison, i can agree that they are very accurate rifles.

Nice shooting Cayuga. I don't know anthing about this bore conditioner. Is it to season the bore, or just provide a coating that makes less of the fowling accumulate?

I am shooting the bore conditioner. http://www.montanaxtreme.com/products/bore_conditioner.php it claims to increase accuracy. I have yet to hear from the company any details which is a shame as I like their products. Also their solvent is what is recommend for removing BlackHorn 209.

Sabotloader first told me about this product so I thought I would try it and see how it worked in my rifles. So far I am real happy with the stuff. Whether it is making a big difference in accuracy, well the rifles were alway accurate. Although I used one patch to swab until I finally pushed through that patch. So maybe it does help with fowling like claimed.

I thought the first group was good then I scrolled down and it got better.
Nice shooting.

What is the smell like on the Montana products?
The Hoppee's stinks somethin awfull

bison001-1.jpg

There is my Bison, Swampman. It has a wood stock painted black, and the bore is in terrible condition. I bought it off an auction site for $100.00 figuring the parts were worth that. And while the bore upsets me that the prior owner was a nut job and never cared for the rifle, it still shoots very good. That is one reason I am hoping this continued use of the bore conditioner will make the rifle more pleasing to me.

And this Montana X-treme smell is not something I am fond of saxman. I can not describe the smell but it is one of them that as the patch sits in the wastebasket next to you, you have a real desire to take out the trash. Hoppies on the other hand I like. I grew up smelling that on my Dads guns. But this stuff, if it works, is ok. Smell and all.

I saw one with a Walnut stock. It was a great looking gun. I really like Whites.

Cayuga, Do you feel this stuff makes a difference in the clean up of RS? I have 5 cans of RS and it shoots so good out of my Black Diamond but man is it hard to clean.

Well I have a black diamond also and without a doubt the Black Diamond has to be one of the more hard to clean rifles. I really don't know if it would help. But maybe that would be a good rifle to test this stuff in. I think I will get right on that chore today. And then start shooting it to see if it helps. I seldom shoot the BD. It is just no fun. 120 grains of Pyrodex RS and a Shockwave and that thing I know will hit right where it is aimed.

Actually the worst part of the BD to clean is the breech area. My barrel comes clean real easy..

My bottle of Montana Extreme bore conditioner/oil arrived yesterday evening.

Although I have not yet tried it out, the smell reminds me of a combination of mothballs and the smell you find in a mom and pop dry cleaners!

The medical caution/hazard warnings on the label make me wonder if this stuff causes cancer!

You can bet I will be thoroughly washing my hands after applying this stuff! :shock:

Also sabot loader called them on the phone. You do need to apply oil to the barrel after the conditioner. Or it can cause rusting I believe. I did email a number of questions and concerns yesterday, but like past emails, nothing has been answered.

cayuga said:
Also sabot loader called them on the phone. You do need to apply oil to the barrel after the conditioner. Or it can cause rusting I believe. I did email a number of questions and concerns yesterday, but like past emails, nothing has been answered.

This doesn't seem right to me. It can cause rust? I guess you guys using this product have oiled the bores immediately? No problems yet?

old/new

This doesn't seem right to me. It can cause rust?

When Cayuga gets back to this post - think he can shed a little more light on the subject, but he did not get 'rust' from the use of this product.

I must have missed something, as my bottle of bore conditioner states it is a super refined, low residue oil that has been processed to eliminate the factors that cause regular oil to gum up and congeal.

The application directions state that you are to use this 'bore conditioner' as the last step in the cleaning process...there is no mention of using anything else after applying the 'bore conditioner'.

Granted, I just got my bottle and have not had a chance to get to the range and see if it works as well for me as it has for cayuga.

cleboje I have to agree with you. I think if you have used the Bore Conditioner, there would be no chance of rust. Still if you want extra insurance for long term storage, a light coat of quality gun oil on top of the BC might not hurt. BUT like you said, the BC is a high quality oil, so that should be all that you need.

Back