Choosing my Bullet/Powder Combo

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose565

Reaction score
Hello all

I just recently got a Thompson Center 50 cal. Omega muzzle loader and I am Trying to figure out what Bullet/Powder type to use. For starter i am most likely to go with the pellets rather that the loose type. I have been reading about all the different makes of slugs. ie T/C Hornady and so on. But when I am reading about the T/C's everyone is saying the are very accurate but the don't expand worth a crap and same as the hornadys. So if you guys and gals don't mind suggesting to me and telling me what you use that would be fantastic.

MOOSE

two 50 grain pellets (since that is what you want to shoot) Pyrodex RS or Triple Seven (I like Pyrodex RS) and a 250 grain shockwave. Shoot them to get on paper and to learn your rifle. Also a lot of deer have been killed with that bullet. Now some will tell you horror stories of pass through and no blood from that bullet. I can not understand why it happens, but it happens.

You could also get some bulk 300 grain .44 caliber XTP's in green harvester crushed rib sabots. Same powder charge. Or the 200 grain Shockwaves with the same powder charge.

I am basing this from my Black Diamond XR which has the same barrel, just a different ignition. That BD will flat out shoot!!!

2 pellets of Triple Seven [easier to clean +bit more power +does not have the rotten egg smell] that the Pyrodex pellets have ..

HORNADY SST or T/C SHOCKWAVE for practice on the range

for hunting BARNES

also keep it simple and enjoy ur new passion ,later on when u get used to shooting ur ML. u will probably switch over to loose powder 209 blackhorn

this is a copy of some ML info that might help. some will be redundant, but it will get you started...

welcome to a new addiction!

Most likely your gun will shoot fine with 250gr yellow tip TC shockwaves that wally sells for $11 a box and with 100 gr 777 (2 50 grain pellets) and any brand name primer although each ML is different and it may take some playing with. I have NEVER had luck with powerbelts and accuracy.

Things you need?
A lot of dry cleaning patches
Pre-saturated cleaning patches
Breech plug grease?make sure to put on breech before going to the range
A cleaning jag (will also be used to seat bullets at range)
Either a good range rod or at least a T handle that you can screw onto your rod
Couple of brushes that are good for cleaning the breech plug threads inside the gun and the plug itself.

Make sure the scope is mounted properly with good quality bases and rings and at the very least boresighted.

When you load for the first time make sure the range rod is marked at the level it sticks out when powder and bullet is seated. You never want to load twice and this will keep it from happening.

At the range?shoot a couple of primers into the gun to make sure it is ?fouled? and dry. Then shoot at 25 yards to get close to the bulls before moving to 100 yards.

BETWEEN each shot take a saturated cleaning patch (or use a dry one with windex on it) and your range rod and cleaning jag and run it down the barrel paying close attention to the crud ring in front or the breech. Take out patch, flip over and do again. Then run a couple of dry patches down. Do not take the breech out for this. This needs to be done between every single shot at the range. This will make sure that you are getting as much consistency as you can get from your gun and your combination.

Shoot and repeat swabbing and move the scope as needed every 2-3 shots.

This should get you pretty accurate, which with this combination should be a normal deer sized group at 100 yards?pending your ability as a shooter this might be 5? groups or 2? groups or even less.
To clean, take out breech plug and put it in a cup of hot soapy water to soak. While soaking it use the little brush to clean the threads inside the barrel. Run a patch or two down the barrel to get it clean enough to put the breech back in. Put grease on plug threads and put back in. Then clean the barrel with the saturate patches or a bore brush as needed just like you would a regular rifle, making sure to use dry patches until COMPLETELY dry. Clean the rest of the gun the same as normal.

BlackHorn 209 powder is a little more expensive and a tad bit more work because you have to measure loads, but will increase accuracy and will increase velocity and does away with all the swabbing between shots and makes cleaning even easier.

If I had a new Omega .50...no doubt I would use Blackhorn 209 powder...they were made for each other!

100gr loose Blackhorn 209....once you start using loose...you'll never go back... You'll only need a couple of extra items...a powder spout for your jug of powder:

7223-7221spouts.jpg

One on RIGHT fits BH209, Pyrodex, and Triple Se7en jugs.

...and a powder measure:

7222Medium.jpg

This is THE one to get...T/C U-View

Start with 100gr Blackhorn 209....bullets...250gr Shockwaves/SSTs are HARD to beat. Also the Parker Ballistic Extreme 275gr would be an excellent choice!

big 6, where can you find the black powder cap you have pictured?

Underclocked said:
http://www.hodgdon.com/store/product.php?productid=16135&cat=251&page=1

shipping included

Now that's a DEAL! :wink:

Back