BH209 Price...YIKES!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heiner39

Reaction score
After hearing all the good comments about BH209 I thought I'd check into it and maybe pick some up to try in my Omega. I log onto my favorite Canadian online site to see how much a bottle is worth and my jaw nearly hit the computer desk! $61.99 for a 10oz bottle! If a guy was using 100 - 120 grains on average...how many shots could I expect out of a bottle?

I'm a very proud Canadian and love this country...but when it comes to shopping for guns and ammo...we take it hard you know where!

That is totally nuts. The powder is made in Canada in the first place. Can I ask what you pay for other powders there?
Art

Powder
T7 Magnum pellets - $24.99 for 50
T7 pellets - $35.99 for 100
IMR Whitehot - $31.99 for 72

Projectiles:
Barnes TMZ - $26.99 for 15 (250 grain) $41.99 for 24 (290 grain)
Hornady SST ML - $17.99 for 20

These are just a few examples. Centerfire ammo is up there too! You don't even want to know what a box of Federal Vital Shok with Barnes TX are worth...YIKES! Good thing my 30-06 likes the cheap stuff :)

heiner39 said:
Powder

Projectiles:

These are just a few examples. Centerfire ammo is up there too! You don't even want to know what a box of Federal Vital Shok with Barnes TX are worth...YIKES! Good thing my 30-06 likes the cheap stuff :)

Carumba!!

Whats the US to Canada exchange rate these days!!

BH 209 is very expensive due to the labor involved when they have to drill those little holes in each kernal

its not cheap

lane said:
heiner39 said:
Powder

Projectiles:

Carumba!!

Whats the US to Canada exchange rate these days!!

If I'm not mistaken the Canadian dollar is around $.93 US. It's not bad right now but I don't think powder, ammo and guns are easy to bring across the border. Certainly lots of red tape to go through to get those things up here.

john keyes said:
BH 209 is very expensive due to the labor involved when they have to drill those little holes in each kernal

its not cheap

Now I understand!!! Heck, they should set up a plant in the Southern U.S. and we could have illegal aliens drill those holes a lot cheaper.

Semisane said:
john keyes said:

its not cheap

Now I understand!!! Heck, they should set up a plant in the Southern U.S. and we could have illegal aliens drill those holes a lot cheaper.

Yeah and give em FREE health care

That $ 61.99 powder is from Cabelas Canada how can they sell it for 29.99 in thier US stores.Even with the exchange rate I know they are taking us for a ride.I buy mine from a sports store in Quebec for $38.00 CDN that is more inline with what most members are paying on this site.Good luck to all in the up coming season be safe Night

Unfortunately the city I'm in I don't have a lot of choices. I did find some at a small shop close to my house that sells it for $45.99 a bottle. I don't get how our brothers in the US can get things at the prices they do and we get gouged...it doesn't make sense. Even with the exchange rate applied the prices are way beyond what they should be.

I'm glad I got in early when MidwayUSA was selling it for $26 a can. I bought 10 cans and still have 4 left.

heiner39 said:
Unfortunately the city I'm in I don't have a lot of choices. I did find some at a small shop close to my house that sells it for $45.99 a bottle. I don't get how our brothers in the US can get things at the prices they do and we get gouged...it doesn't make sense. Even with the exchange rate applied the prices are way beyond what they should be.

Exactly!! And you would think cause it's MADE in Canada, that you would get it even cheaper than whats trucked/distributed down to the USA :? :huh?: :wall:

And US citizens go to Canada to buy prescription drugs that were manufactured in the US but the drug companies sell them cheaper in Canada! Sorry for going off topic

Those Canadian prices make me shudder!

In my estimation the cost should always be analyzed on a per shot basis. 10 ounces of BH209 is equal to 4,375 grains (both are weight measurements).

I shoot 77 grains by weight and call it 115 grains by volume.

4,375 divided by 77 gives me 57 shots per container.

At $34 a container, that's $0.60 per shot.

I'm not going back to 777, but my recollection was that 3 50 grain pellets cost $0.90 and created more smoke.

Best regards from the cob pile.

john keyes said:

its not cheap

Thats where they get ffff!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back