New Hawken Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
This one will be going to a friend of mine. I am not happy with his current rifle and I wanted to build another kit, so this one got the thumbs up.

Attachments

• 100_0618.JPG
    100_0618.JPG
    761.1 KB · Views: 47
Lots of work done today!

Attachments

• 100_0671.JPG
    100_0671.JPG
    342.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_0668.JPG
    100_0668.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_0662.JPG
    100_0662.JPG
    347.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_0656.JPG
    100_0656.JPG
    313.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_0654.JPG
    100_0654.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_0652.JPG
    100_0652.JPG
    339.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_0649.JPG
    100_0649.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_0646.JPG
    100_0646.JPG
    347.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_0645.JPG
    100_0645.JPG
    316.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_0643.JPG
    100_0643.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 37
Lookin' good FG. I'll bet it's hard to stop once you start.

I see you are well acquainted with these kit builds. How much time do you figure and avg skilled person who is good with their hands would take to complete a project like this fine one here ??

Good looking gun Jonathan. To bad they don't leave the patch box off and put their trade name on the side or underside where its not seen. Without a patch box and trade name removed and maybe the trigger guard spru removed it would make a very nice hunting setup (plain jane touch). I have found over the last 50 years of hunting with a muzzleloader, the less items to catch on brush, limbs or make nose from being grabbed by such things, the better it is.

buck conner.jpg

After Browning the barrel you can barely see any of the factory stamping.

The trigger spur imo is a must have. Without it, it feels a little uncomfortable.

I see you are well acquainted with these kit builds. How much time do you figure and avg skilled person who is good with their hands would take to complete a project like this fine one here ??
Good question! I almost posted that question to FG myself.

Realistically, you can put one other in a few days to a week. Because of my neck and my hands, it takes me much longer, plus the stock finishes I apply, take 2 weeks alone, to complete. For a quality, well put together kit, I'd say 3 to 4 weeks at least. I am very anal about removing casting marks off trigger guards, bedding the barrel and tang, improving lock & trigger function.

A healthy guy could easily do it in a week though. It just depends on the kind of quality outcome the builder is hoping to achieve.

Ok I have gotten a ton of questions about this build and the items Ive used to complete the job. So I am currently on my blog, writing a huge how to guide on what I use and how I use it. I only wanted the skim the surface to give the reader an idea, but its turning into a book that I will post in separate articles when completed.

Ok I have gotten a ton of questions about this build and the items Ive used to complete the job. So I am currently on my blog, writing a huge how to guide on what I use and how I use it. I only wanted the skim the surface to give the reader an idea, but its turning into a book that I will post in separate articles when completed.
I'll take my query one step further, approx. what do you value the finished product at ?? Not what you sell them for but avg market value. Out

Well you figure the kit alone is $350. Then you have the rear sight, the front sight, the replacement ramrod, new updated nipple. I had a total of $88 just in upgraded parts. My labor isn't much for the quality of work I put into them.

I've been looking for a lefty for you Marty, but its such a slim market out there for lefty guns.

You sure know your way around building those smokepoles!
I've assembled a few kits but they definitely don't look like that one.
I did add a diamond post earring to the front sight of the last one.
We'll see how long that stays in place.
TC Hawken sm.jpg

Well you figure the kit alone is $350. Then you have the rear sight, the front sight, the replacement ramrod, new updated nipple. I had a total of $88 just in upgraded parts. My labor isn't much for the quality of work I put into them.

I've been looking for a lefty for you Marty, but its such a slim market out there for lefty guns.
Thanks FG. I'll find one sooner or later. I first need to liquidate a few items lying around to buffer the overall cost.

Latest posts

Back