Who uses their smokepole during the modern firearm season?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D :D :D

UtahRob,

May the hunting gods smile upon you and your aim is steady and your rifle shoots true :!: :!: :!:
The spell is now broken :!: :!: :!: GO OUT AND GET A HUGE MULELY :!: :!: :!: GOOD LUCK :!: :!: :!:

I shot a nice buck this past weekend (gun season) with a borrowed 270. He was only 100 yards away and I'm sure that the shot placement was good. I was unfortunatly unable to recover the animal, as he left no blood trail and went into some REALLY thick woods. I should have took him with my Omega, which I had also brought to the blind. That evening I shot a doe in the same spot (high lungs) and she dropped where she stood (130 grains BH209 under a 350 grain FPB). Tuesday I shot a little buck at 120 yards with the Omega and again, he didn't even blink before falling. 10 minutes later I shot another doe at 200 yards with the .270 and she ran 300 yards before dropping. She was shot through the heart but the energy delivered by the 150 grain .270 bullet just couldn't compare with the 1/2 inch chunk of hot lead from the Muzzle loader. Funny thing is that there was more bruising from the .270 than from the .50 cal.

Cosmo-
I gotta call BS on your story. For one- why would you shoot another deer with a borrowed rifle after you wounded one and was sure the shot was good? And two- There is no deer that can run 300 yards with a hole in its heart- no matter the size of the hole. A 270 with a 150 grain bullet at 200 yards still has over 2000 foot-pounds of energy- more than most muzzleloaders have at 100 yards. And no- I don't own a 270.

sabotloader said:
quigley

I have not used a centerfire for hunting since 2001... I am hooked on a ML
Same here, I'm hooked. Havent used a shotgun since 2003. I really enjoy hunting with my MK85. It may have to move over this season. I just picked up an Omega. I will hunt inline until I get a deer, then maybe switch over to my Hawken the rest of the season.

mirage1988 said:
Cosmo-
I gotta call BS on your story. For one- why would you shoot another deer with a borrowed rifle after you wounded one and was sure the shot was good? And two- There is no deer that can run 300 yards with a hole in its heart- no matter the size of the hole. A 270 with a 150 grain bullet at 200 yards still has over 2000 foot-pounds of energy- more than most muzzleloaders have at 100 yards. And no- I don't own a 270.

I have heard of heart shot deer running close to 200 yards and have read it in magazines but never witnessed it myself.

ml hunting

I am 58 yrs old and have killed lots of dear and elk here in MT. When I was younger I needed the meat for my family and it got to be a chore I had to do. Five years ago I started hunting with ML and it was like the first year I hunted. I will never go back.

stevemiller

Just spent 3 weeks in the Little Belts hunting with my muzzle loader. Killed a white tail doe, and thus filled my only tag this year. That was some snow we had on Monday or Tuesday of the first week. We lived in Montana for 40 year, and like you, when we were young, and with children, we killed to eat.

The boy and girl still live in Montana.

We set up a hunting camp up 89 out of White Sulphur.

Latest posts

Back