I hate waiting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Green Mountain is sure taking their own sweet time and getting a hold of a real person is a pain. I know they just got back from the holiday vacation but its becoming a bit annoying.

54_Brush_Rifle_FL_-_Web.jpg

Sure is a beautiful rifle and i got plenty of 50/54 sabots and even some cheaper 50cal plated bullets for practice.

The wait is killing me!!!!!! :wall:

They are fun rifles and good shooters to boot. I would get a aftermarket ramrod since you are going to shoot sabots. The gun comes with a flexible Delron rod.

This is the one I bought early last year.
009.jpg

You cant beat the price and quality IF you want an inline 54.

The trouble is getting THEM to take your money. :lol:

Still no reply but Toby Bridges is helping be by contacting the GM for Green Mountain.

IMO its one of the finest Brush Guns for my needs. Plus i already have 50cal bullets for 50S&W reloading. I got them for only roughly $35 per 100 and FTXs for slightly over 52 cents each. :D And MMP 50/54 sabots for only $4.99 per 50

It should be a deadly combo

Quick update

Amy took my order this morning. It appears that the time difference and their unusual business hours are to blame.

IM THRILLED!!!!!

7-10 days and Amy was very helpful with my order.

Actually for where I hunt, that would be a perfect rifle. Most my shots are 50 yards. Get that tuned for a big conicals or large lead and just bowl them over. What a beautiful rifle...

I used a 54 caliber barrel on my System One for 4 years the purple sabot with a 270 gr 50 caliber Hollow point left a hole coming out the far side of a deer you had to see to believe but I learned to be careful of where I hit them it would tear the whole front shoulder to pieces. The powder load it shoots good with is 140 gr RS Pyrodex.

Whats amazing TO ME, is that it will move a 300gr+ bullet at 1800fps from a 20" barrel accurately or a shoulder busting Parker 580gr conical at roughly 1400fps.

Cant beat it for $400 and from one of the best names in the game.

Only 6lbs and a beautiful laminated camo stock is a very nice bonus. Mine will probably be sent to Black Ice for a Teflon finish. The stainless is great but the Black Ice should go well with the stock.

I have had mine for 2 years - 3 shots and 3 deer. It is a fast handling, hard-hitting rifle. Looks nice too! My favorite whitetail load is the Barnes 275 mz with 90gr (vol) bh209 and cci209m. The recoil isn't bad at all. When you start to move up to the heavier bullets it will thump you, but the stock is really well designed.

kelleyga said:
I have had mine for 2 years - 3 shots and 3 deer. It is a fast handling, hard-hitting rifle. Looks nice too! My favorite whitetail load is the Barnes 275 mz with 90gr (vol) bh209 and cci209m. The recoil isn't bad at all. When you start to move up to the heavier bullets it will thump you, but the stock is really well designed.

According to most of my research THAT is the sweet deer load and wont beat you to death. Its deadly and one of Toby's favorite combos too.

Even though i normally dont care for the 44/54 sabots, i got to try the 44cal 265gr FTX as another load that doest kick like all hell.

Ive used the 275gr MZ/X Barnes 50/54 in a old TC 54 ThunderHawk with 90-100gr of Pyro RS too. I only got "minute of deer" accuracy (SUB 3") but terminal performance was awesome at brush ranges.

I really wish they would start making the .475/54 sabots. I got a steal on a bunch of MMP 50/54 sabots so that will take up most of the time for my first tests.

Have you tried any of the copper plated HPs made for 50S&W. I got some at my LGS for roughly $35 per 100.

http://www.rainierballistics.com/mainframe.htm

These look good and they offer quite a few styles and weights from 275gr-400gr. I got the 300gr HP. I usually prefer plated over cast just because they are not lubed.

44-300-H.gif

I have tried the Hor 350 xtp/mag for the 50 S&W in mine, but the accuracy wasn't as good as either the 275 or 325 MZ. I use 100gr BH209 w/the 325 mz and it shoots just as well as the 275 mz load. It is definitely more of a thumper and for my use (whitetails in the woods less than 100yds) the 275 load is entirely adequate.

I do have some of the Hor 300gr FTX (flextips) for the 50 S&W, but haven't had a chance tor try them out yet. I'll let you know how they go. It is a slick looking bullet.

The GMB 54-120 is one of the best guns I've ever owned. I use a 430 gr. TC Maxi-Ball over 100 gr. Pyrodex. Very accurate load with 1" or less groups at 100 yards. This is also the best rifle for close cover offhand shooting I own. It has a slight edge over my Omega X7. Trigger pull on mine is a little less than 2.5 lbs.
I live about an hour and a half from GMB so made a call and got mine direct from their factory while on a camping trip. I had great service.
I hunt swampland in southern Massachusetts and this gun excels there. Not a long range gun but it Hammers them at the 50 yd or less distances that I take deer at.
If it's a close cover gun you're looking for you won't be disapointed.

The wait is over.!!!!!!!

They even included a case and some Knight 325gr RedHots and some FPJs and other items.

I had it sent to my work so i cant "play" with it too much until later.

Serial # is under 40 :D

Im now officially a Knight/GM owner.!!!!!!!

GM54-120

CONGRATS!!!!

I am hoping like heck my new Elite gets here today also... Yesterdays holiday really slowed things down...

Thank you Sabotloader.

Just got another surprise, the RedLine 220gr 40s came in today and IMO they look like a perfect match for my sabots. Plus they only has 1 lube groove and i like the profile.

Very nice lookin rifle. I've looked at em on their site and thought about it. Let us know how it shoots. Congrats.

TJJ said:
Very nice lookin rifle. I've looked at em on their site and thought about it. Let us know how it shoots. Congrats.

This is the review that convinced me, granted GM is a sponsor but others have given it good reviews too. Fit and finish are top notch. Its VERY light and thats what i wanted. I probably wont even use a scope unless its very low power, compact and long eye relief.

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/fieldtests3.html

Cabelas has a fairly good sale on some Remington 50cal Ultra Bonded CoreLok 385gr HPs.

$50/100 isnt too bad and these look good. Reviews for them in the Beowulf reloads are very good.

1601165096.jpg

I could only find them with a crimp groove but oh well. :D

Back