If Today is the Sabot....then I need help...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingofcoins

Reaction score
Hi...
I'm trying to keep my traditional stick ramrod from going thru my palm when I reload. Every since I bought some of these saboted bullets to try I've had a real fit problem....and the 2nd shot in the field is very hard to seat, then the 3rd always has to be a ball and patch. Yes I have a very clean and accurate bore. I use homemade natural butter mix and have electro-cleaned and J.B. lapped the rifling...mine is just very tight.
So now I've carefully measured the bullet with sabots I shoot and they run 0.505", more like 0.506" OD. What I need is to try some thinner ones.
Do you have these I could try for fit before I buy the wrong size? Only need 1,2,3 of each of these to try:
MMP HPH 24
MMP 3- PETAL EZ
HARVESTOR BLACK
HARVESTOR GREEN

If you want to trade I have soem of these:
MMP HPH 12
KNIGHT GREEN (I'm pretty sure)..if you need the OD of these on some common bullets let me know.

Please PM me if you can help....thank you and God bless.

The short black harvester will fix your problem. If no one has helped you out i will send you what you need. Send me a PM if you need a few sabots.

The link above is an excellant tool in finding what best fits your specific Muzzleloader. But, as you can see a short black harvester and a HPH24 measure the same. A short black harvester will load easier because of it being a shorter sabot. The same actually goes with the short black mmp compared to others of equal thickness.

Grouse

Tom, Your post says...

But, as you can see a short black harvester is thicker then say a HPH12.

Is that a typo... the 12 is .002/.003 thicker than the harvester short black - but it is comparable, the harvester short black, with the 24

?????

sabotloader said:
Grouse

Tom, Your post says...

But, as you can see a short black harvester is thicker then say a HPH12.

Is that a typo... the 12 is .002/.003 thicker than the harvester short black - but it is comparable, the harvester short black, with the 24

?????

I like the excuse you got for me best. :) Thanks, i need glasses i guess.

I like the new avatar Tom
That looks like some good eating right there. :D

in my experience sabots prefer a totally clean and DRY barrel.......bore conditioners,lubes and butter has a tandency to foul up so bad i cant make a second shot.it also takes a few cleanings to get all bore lube out,seems like forever to get back clean.T/C bore cleaner #13 will help.windex is nice to use on a barrel that's already clean if your mz has been sitting on a shelf.i imagine vinegar would work too.
i think somewhere in reading i heard proper loading and seating pressure is ideal at about 25 lb..............has anyone else heard of this as well?

maybe someone else has noticed this too?

'Tis Fitting for the Sabot ...

Thank you all for the replies and indeed your most kind samples.
The picture link of the saboted bullet sizes is most excellent, and it is how I compared my own combos to see that I need to use a .002-.003" thinner patch for my bore. Yes it is important to have a really clean bore, and to keep any fouling to a minimum for the next shot. I have found that firing these guns with modern lubes, oils, anti-corrosion treatments, that have an oil base, yes like Rem-Oil, WD-40, and TCs Bore Butter.....IS THE REASON for the excessive and sticky, and even hard aspahlt like build up. When I used to use these things, besides my sabot being over sized, I somethimes couldn't even load the gun the second shot without hammering the ball in, or if at home, bronze brushing out the bore. I now ONLY use the modern oils after I'm done shooting and the bore is 'water' or ammonia' clean and ready for storage. And I ONLY use my homemade all natural 'butter' only while shooting, and NEVER use it for storage. When these two uses are completetly separate, my gun doesn't corrode, and my bore doesn't foul nearly as much...and since I use blackpowder exclusively, I get a much reduced smoke cloud at the shot as well.
When I get the offered sabots I'll post back here all my combo sizes for all to see and use...Good Shootin' Folks! :eek:

kingofcoins

Coming your way by goot ole USPS

45/50 cal black sabots
MMP HPH-24
MMP HPH-3p

Harvester Long black
Harvester Short black
Harvester 'crush rib'

44/50 cal gree sabots
MMP HPH-.429-.430/50
Harvester .429-.430/50
Harvester .429-.430/50 'crush rib'

Should go in the mail this afternoon

Underclocked said:
http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9798

UC, Busta & Big 6x6, EXCELLENT work!

Have you guys done any similar research on .45 cal fodder?

Loaded Sabot Diameters for .50 Cals

Here is a lot of data we hope will help you out at some point. This was a joint effort by sabotloader and kingofcoins.

sabotDiameters.jpg

[/img]

Latest posts

Back