New to ML'ers And Looking For Some Opinions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
I have a Accura and love it but was wondering what are some good ''cheap'' muzzleloaders?I see talk of knight 45 cals being tack drivers and are really cheap.I see alot of TC black diamonds for sale and wonder if they are any good?Basicaly what im asking is what are some good ''cheap'' muzzleloaders that are accurate and which ones should I stay away from and will cause me alot of hassle?

If all you are going to do is shoot 100 yards or less, about any of the inlines on the market will do that with the right bullet combination. If you want to shoot some extreme distances, while the cheap ones will still do that, it might take a little more work.

The idea of a cheap muzzleloader to me means one that has a poor fit and finish of the stock and hardware. For instance, I have a $89.00 CVA Staghorn Magnum I bought years ago. Out to 100 yards with a 245 grain powerbelt of a 250 grain Shockwave, it will shoot with the best of them. But the gaps between the barrel and stock might shock some. Yet it just flat out shoots.

Check the auction sites and the forum classified adds. There are always rifles turning up that are not as expensive and most and are still good shooters.

If you want new, look at the CVA Wolf, T/C Impact, or some of the Knights that are rolling around.

Old LK93s can be found fairly cheap and you dont have to sacrifice quality. I got mine for $100 with shipping used.

Knight Elites are around but you have to look hard to find a deal. I will be going up to BassPro and checking the bargain rack tonite AGAIN...just for the forum members. I dont need another right now.

The TC Black Diamond is a nice choice and a nice simple design...again you are not going to sacrifice quality.

One of my favorites is the CVA Wolf if you want a carbine. They are not on the same level as an Acurra but IMO a nice little carbine.

CVA Kodiak Mag Pros can sometimes be found for very low prices and with a minor upgrade are super clean. Pretty big gun though but it eats up recoil very nice.

Knight Visions are hit or miss but if you get a good one they are kinda cool IMO.

Pedersoli Ovations or Denalis are sometimes available for under $150 and very good quality with a fast 1-24 twist barrel. Barrel quality is really good IMO.

Adding a 45cal is a nice option IF you can find one. They are a bit scarce right now and gaining popularity again. Finding a bargain on one is a luck of the draw and watch out for the 1-20 twist guns. Many people dont like them.

Scott

I only have experience with Traditions and Thompson Center. The two Traditions were cheap but they are accurate. My older Traditions Buckhunter is a plunger style rifle that has never given me any problems and even shoots BH209 powder each and every time I pull the trigger. The Traditions Pursuit XLT has also been problem free and shoots 1 inch groups or less at a hundred yards if I do my part.

The T/C Triumph is the nicest of the three but cost more than the other two combined but I feel that I got what I paid for. Fit and finish were excellent and it is extemely accurate.

I didnt mean cheaply made..I meant ml'ers that maby are older models like the knights or the TC black diamond mentioned that are typicaly cheaper in cost because their older.Im looking for a Knight 45 cal mainly but wouldnt pass on a knight 50 cal for the right price :wink:
150 yards would be my max range for it..Any cons to the black diamonds?

Black Diamonds come in two models. One has a 22 inch barrel and the Black Diamond XR has a 26 inch barrel. They are open breech design. And are good shooting rifles. I have a XR. The XR mean extended range so they claim.

I just checked BP and they are all out of all clearance Knights except the TK shotgun, Vision and some KRBs. Plus they raised the price on all the clearance MLs to about $399.

Best of luck finding a new or like new 45cal for a deal. Even the Acurra 45 is only offered in the top of the line model.

Scott

Ill check some of the pawn shops and smaller gun shops around and see what I can find,maby ill get lucky.

Popeye said:
Ill check some of the pawn shops and smaller gun shops around and see what I can find,maby ill get lucky.

Definitely do that. I went to one looking for an older Redfield scope for one of my rifles. Only one they had was attached to a Thompson Omega, and $189 wasn't that much more that I planned to spend anyway. Now, I just have to find another scope!

for a new muzzleloader thats on the market, the cva wolf is an excellent buy at a very affordable price. Even the Optima at r&r arms is only $216

I have a buddy who recently bought a NIB Knight Disc M-L that he wants to sell. It's the original type that takes the orange discs. He's turkey hunting out of town for a few more days. I could get the particulars when he gets back. It's a 50 cal. If I didn't have 4 already I would consider it.

Latest posts

Back