To swab or not to swab.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatchet10

Reaction score
I just bought a pound of triple 7 fffg and will use it for the first time this weekend. However since I will be shooting not only sabots but NEX 460 conicals as well, I wonder if I should swab between shots when using these conicals to avoid the dreaded "crud ring". You see I've never swabed the bore before when I use to shoot these same conicals but with Pinnacle 3f and I've always heard that it isn't advisable to swab when using lead conicals so please help. By the way I plan to start with 80 gr. of the 777 with these bullets....

I shoot 777 and conicals all the time, but I use a White. Therefore I do not have to swab. If you shoot one conical, and load another, you will know whether or not you have to swab. Also try it with swabbing and without and see what accuracy you get.

Thanks for your input, guys. I hope I won't have to swab my KRB but, like you said, maybe I should let accuracy be the determining factor....

I went to the range today to practice a bit.I also use 85 gr. of t7 3f with the t7 primers.To say the least I was shooting 2 inch groups at 50 yards without swabbing...only after 4 or 5 shots I swabbed(not because of hard loading,but my groups started to get bigger.).I had no crud ring either....not one bit.But If I use regular primers I do get a crud ring,and have to swab between shot...Its either that or deal with the blow back from the t7 primers.I picked the latter.It really only effects me after shooting during clean up.

I've been using Federal Fusion primers with both my sabots and conicals. I have used T7 pellets in the past but only with sabots and have not encountered the crud ring issue, as far as I know, since I always swabed the bore when using sabots anyway. My concern deals with using T7 loose powder and conicals....

Hatchet10 said:
I've been using Federal Fusion primers with both my sabots and conicals. I have used T7 pellets in the past but only with sabots and have not encountered the crud ring issue, as far as I know, since I always swabed the bore when using sabots anyway. My concern deals with using T7 loose powder and conicals....

If you don't have a crud ring yo might get away with out swabbing .IMO In my encore 777 shoot just as clean as BH209 but i get a small crud ring and its almost impossible to get a sabot past it without pushing VERY hard . So i swab between shots .

In my encore 777 shoot just as clean as BH209 but i get a small crud ring and its almost impossible to get a sabot past it without pushing VERY hard . So i swab between shots .
Then it is not as clean or near as clean as BH209. Because I can shoot 20-30 times and not have to swab or worry about a crud ring and yes I used T7 before.

Back