Range report - 50 cal SMI Encore 200 grain Barnes XPB

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillinWV

Reaction score
Been experimenting for a light recoiling load for my 13 year old son to use in the upcoming Ohio youth hunt. Started at 36 grains and ended up here at 40 grains of VV-N110, Win. 209 primer, standard Harvester sabot.(1.5" @ 100 yards) Bullet is the Barnes 460 S+W 0.451" XPB. Did not get a chance to chronograph yet but plan to experiment a little more in the future with this load. Recoil is very soft, in my calculations around 10 lbs. in my 9.5# rifle.

Bill

Great work Bill. My SMI likes the 200 xpb as well. 42 gr. N-110 and its a smoker of a smokeless load....

BillinWV said:
Been experimenting for a light recoiling load for my 13 year old son to use in the upcoming Ohio youth hunt. Started at 36 grains and ended up here at 40 grains of VV-N110, Win. 209 primer, standard Harvester sabot.(1.5" @ 100 yards) Bullet is the Barnes 460 S+W 0.451" XPB. Did not get a chance to chronograph yet but plan to experiment a little more in the future with this load. Recoil is very soft, in my calculations around 10 lbs. in my 9.5# rifle.

Bill

Curious if you noticed the higher impacting bullet loading with a little more resistance? For me it seemed like if it loaded harder, I could call it high with the ones that loaded simular cutting the same hole like your group. Glad to see states have the special youth hunts. Problem with ours here in Indiana is it is too early and kids get ate up by bugs. Good luck on the youth hunt!

Encoreguy,

Did not notice any difference in feel while loading however the high shot was my last shot. I was testing other rifles that day so not really watching the clock between shots with this rifle? It was chilly, about 38 degrees but I have found that the barrel still can be warm enough to deform sabot if I'm not patient when working up loads (try to wait about 10 minutes between shots). I really believe that the most important thing shooting this "smokeless" powder in muzzleloaders, as others have said after barrel cooling is seating pressure, especially when it comes to vertical stringing of groups. I am working on a gadget to use to help me be more consistent while loading.

In my 30-35 years of shooting/handloading/load testing, I can't tell you the number of nice groups that I have messed up, i.e. 3 or 4 in almost the same hole then the what most people like to call flyers happen. This is life and you can't always exclude these shots. I have come to accept this happens and you have to factor in this in load development. Seldom do I just use one tight group but have to evaluate several when determining a "best" load in any firearm that I'm working with. Also it is relative in what caliber you are shooting in reference to what is an accurate load and what is not. As for me, when I can get 1.5" or less three shot groups at 100 yards on a regular basis out of this barrel I'm very happy with that load! All I can say in closing, SMI makes accurate barrels in my opinion.

Bill

BillinWV said:
Encoreguy,

Did not notice any difference in feel while loading however the high shot was my last shot. I was testing other rifles that day so not really watching the clock between shots with this rifle? It was chilly, about 38 degrees but I have found that the barrel still can be warm enough to deform sabot if I'm not patient when working up loads (try to wait about 10 minutes between shots). I really believe that the most important thing shooting this "smokeless" powder in muzzleloaders, as others have said after barrel cooling is seating pressure, especially when it comes to vertical stringing of groups. I am working on a gadget to use to help me be more consistent while loading.

In my 30-35 years of shooting/handloading/load testing, I can't tell you the number of nice groups that I have messed up, i.e. 3 or 4 in almost the same hole then the what most people like to call flyers happen. This is life and you can't always exclude these shots. I have come to accept this happens and you have to factor in this in load development. Seldom do I just use one tight group but have to evaluate several when determining a "best" load in any firearm that I'm working with. Also it is relative in what caliber you are shooting in reference to what is an accurate load and what is not. As for me, when I can get 1.5" or less three shot groups at 100 yards on a regular basis out of this barrel I'm very happy with that load! All I can say in closing, SMI makes accurate barrels in my opinion.

Bill

I agree consistant 1 1/2 inch groups are great, many people cannot do that with factory centerfire rifles. I just have noticed that when a sabot loads noticably harder, I can almost guarantee that it will shoot higher than those that load a little easier. Congratulations on your gun and we cannot wait to see the next post "Deer shot with SMI" :D

SMI

Good shooting Bill. The load looks like a real winner. Best of luck in the upcoming youth hunt----hope your son harvests a trophy.

Any idea how fast that load was moving? IndianaHunter, did you chrony yours? I can only imagine that it was smokin!

Back