Gunsmithing New T/C Pro-Hunter?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjmorrismd

Reaction score
Friends, I am ordering a new T/C Pro-Hunter. I am having the trigger done and wondered if there were any other sugggested improvements that would make the rifle perform more efficiently or effectively. I read a recent article on putting an 11 degree crown at the muzzle. Has anyone done this? Are there other ideas out there?

Thoughts please,
M

Whoa! The barrel chop and recrown might improve accuracy but I would surely advise you check to see if the rifle is accurate from the get-go. No sense removing the QLA if it is done correctly. A lot of small improvements can be made (sometimes) with after market changes and equipment but you really need to get to know the rifle before making plans for any such work... the rifle may need nothing at all to be a good performer.

Free-floating the forend as much as is possible is a good idea (especially removing forend to frame contact).

Invest in quality bases - either Leupold QR/QRW or Warne and some good QD rings to match. For a more elegant looking base, you might want to check out Stratton Custom A six-hole base would certainly add rigidity to the mount but that would require drilling and tappiing two more holes in the barrel.

Clean the crap out of it! :D Keep it clean, paying attention to the firing pin assembly as has been noted on this forum many times.

My Pro-Hunter was good to go out of the box so I would agree with Underclocked about checking it out first before deciding on anything. If it ain?t broke don?t fix it. Mine has a smooth trigger pull and to me didn?t need to be changed. I put Leupold QR base and rings on it and those provide a solid combination for scope accuracy. On mine, I took the front and rear sights off and ordered slave screws from TC to give it a sleek appearance.

Curtis

I spoke to the gunsmith doing the trigger job; he had the same reaction. Ok, wont fix it if it aint broke. I've got a Burris Signature 3-10x40 with Signature Double D rings and base on order. If that doesnt do to the trick I'll try other options. I'm looking forward to experimenting with different powders, loads, and bullet combinations to see what works best out of this rifle. In the meantime, now I'm hooked.....damn, what was the name of that custom stock maker??? Oh lord, the wife just caught me.

Just do a search on this forum on Pro-Hunter for past discussions on loads and bullets people are using as a starting point and for some ideas. The Pro-Hunter is a nice rifle and you should love it.

Curtis

mjmorrismd said:
Friends, I am ordering a new T/C Pro-Hunter. I am having the trigger done and wondered if there were any other sugggested improvements that would make the rifle perform more efficiently or effectively. I read a recent article on putting an 11 degree crown at the muzzle. Has anyone done this? Are there other ideas out there?

Thoughts please,
M

Do what Underclocked has suggested...he is never wrong. T/C does have a rifle leave the factory every now and then with a bad QLA crown but is it rare. I have shot 5 different T/C Pro hunters and they all shot 1 1/8 inch or less for 3 shots.

You loading procedures are the critical element to excellent accuracy. I have found 3 or the 5 T/C pro hunters I have shot preferred a "very" dry barrel to keep 3 bullets touching a 100 yards after wet patching between shots.

Where are you ordering you rifle from and where are you sighting it in???

I am 10 miles north of you.

Choc-dog

"he is never wrong." :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Choc-dog, you picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue! :wink: :D

Choc Dog, sorry its been a few days since I've been able to get on the forum...life's what happens when you are making other plans. I ordered the rifle through Jim Hendershot out in Oregon. Mike Bellm recommended I go through him and have the trigger done by him since he and his wife are on the road and cant keep up with demand. The rifle should be here over the weekend. Not sure exactly where I will sight it in....you got a place...I'd love to come shoot with you.

Cheers,
M

I HAVE A DIRT MOUND FULL OF SHOCK-WAVES.

I am sending you a PM with cell #.....I don't want to "post" my cell number, I am afraid everyone's wife will start calling me again. Can hardly handle my own wife. OPPS got to go she is "doe bleeting" again.
:D :D :roll:

Choc-dog

Choc-dog

Tried to send you a PM....as mine are not getting through. You can reach me via my business email [email protected]. Sorry this is a pain. I am looking forward to touching off some powder with you.

M

pro hunter

i have a new T|C hunter i shoot 90gr. ffg 777 200gr. SW . I have killed two deer this year .DIT . Going to work a load up this spring. Rem STS 209 prs. :D :D :D

I'm with the rest, don't mess with a good thing unless it tells you otherwise. My PH is original except for a lighter trigger spring.

When I do my part it will shoot under one inch groups at 100.

Latest posts

Back