Muzzleloader Seasons in Different States

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toolman

Reaction score
Just wondering when the different muzzleloader seasons open around
the country.

It opens 11/13/06 here in Alabama.

Can't Wait!

Here in Massachusetts, our muzzleloader season opens up on December 11th and ends on December 31st. But ,keep in mind that our shotgun deer season opens for two weeks earlier and you can use your muzzleloader during that season. So in effect, the season is from November 27th to December 31st. I usually use my muzzleloader all season long.

In neighboring Connecticut, the season for muzzleloader( which is after the rifle/shotgun season) is December 6th to the 19th. Keep in mind that both states prohibit Sunday hunting.

My fiance is a Rhode Island resident and they allow Sunday hunting. On the mainland , the state and private land MZ season runs November 4th to November 26th. The Private land antlerless season runs October 28th to November 3rd and picks up again on December 22nd to December 31st.

On the islands of Conanicut and Aquidneck( they are connected by bridges) State and private land is November 4th to Nov., 26th and the private land antlerless is December 22-26th.

I probably should hunt the Ocean State.

Our muzzleloader season is the end of November and early December. It starts right after modern season and runs for a week to nine days depending on what the DNR feel like...

In Indiana you can start using your Savage(General Firearms) Nov.18th-Dec 3rd and then again Dec.9th-Dec 24th,actual muzzleloader season.

Tar-12 said:
In Indiana you can start using your Savage(General Firearms) Nov.18th-Dec 3rd and then again Dec.9th-Dec 24th,actual muzzleloader season.

And I cannot wait... To get my fix in I'll be hunting in Tennessee during their opening weekend of Muzzleloader on 11/4

Not soon enough. Actually in Ohio you can use a muzzleloader in the shotgun season starting Nov 27. There is a muzzleloader season itself starting Dec 27. There are also ML seasons in certain permit areas as early as Oct 23 . Bow season is from Sept 30 through Feb 4,07.

In Michigan the actual muzzleloader ONLY season is in December, usually the 2nd or 3rd weeks, depending on which part of the state you want to hunt.
ML is ALLOWED during the regular gun season, Nov. 15-30 statewide.

Louisiana opens this weekend 10-21 and gun season opens the following weekend 10-28

I live in Utah but go to VA to Muzzleload with family, VA season this year is Nov. 4th to the 17th (east of the Blueridge). General season opens the 18th, I'll be hunting from the 14th to the 18th!

Here in New York it opened last weekend (Oct 14th) and ended today (Oct19th), that's in the Northern zone. You get another week of late black powder hunting at the end of both the Northern and Southern Tier regular seasons. In most areas you can shoot either a buck or a doe with a muzzleloader. There are a few areas that are bucks only.
I only got out once this week with no luck. I will be using my Encore on opening day of the Southern tier regular gun season on Nov 18th.

Mike

in MS its the first two weeks of december. turns out to be the worst two weeks of the year for those of us who are in school because it always coincides with finals. :(

I hunt with a ML during part of the (Blacktail) regular gun season, as Oregon is NOT a ML friendly state. Muzzleloader hunting in Oregon is a controlled draw hunt, and the seasons vary in different locations. Same with the Elk hunts (Draw only ) for ML.

No inline rifles, unless they have an exposed ignition, and Iron sights. (No fiber optics and scopes) I sort of like the primitive part, but it would be nice to have a good general ML season.
Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a FOOL from any direction.

Here the muzzleloader season starts Oct 1, unless it's a Sunday and runs to the end of the month. Archery has already been on for a month. Various rifle season, draw and regular, are in Nov but muzzle loader can be used then. Everything is done by middle of Dec.

Illinois:

First Firearm season Nov. 16th, 17th, and 18th.
Second Firearm Season Nov. 29th, 30th, Dec 1st, and 2nd.
Muzzleloader season Dec. 7th, 8th, and 9th.
Late firearm Season Jan 18th, 19th, and 20th.

You can also use muzzleloader tag during the 2nd Firearm season. Leftover firearm and muzzleloader tags can be used in the late season. Muzzleloader tags have to be used with a muzzleloader in that season.

Basically any ML rifle .45 or greater shooting any Hollowpoint or soft nosed bullet (no FMJ) 44 cal or bigger. Scopes, Smokeless, pellets, primers are ok.

In Iowa, there is the early muzzleloader season (Oct. 13-21). It is open to Iowa residents only.

Then, muzzleloaders are legal during the shotgun seasons, Dec. 1-5 or Dec 8-16 (you can only hunt one of the shotgun seasons).

Late muzzleloader season is Dec. 17-Jan. 10, 2008.

The Iowa DNR has a flow chart that shows which licenses a resident is able to purchase (most residents are limited to two any sex licenses). As a landowner, I plan to purchase an early muzzleloader season any sex license (valid only on my farm unit), a state wide any sex first shotgun season license and a state wide any sex archery license. The county my farm is in has 1,000 antlerless only bonus tags for sale, and I'll be buying some of those for shotgun season. As a landowner, I will get 4 antlerless only tags for my property, two free and two reduced cost. 3 of these licenses will be for early muzzle, 1 will be for the late antlerless only season held Jan. 11-27, 2008 (again, the muzzleloader is a valid firearm for this season).

So it looks like the Savage and I will be spending lots of time togethor again this fall. :wink:

Edit: Guess I should have mentioned this is whitetail deer hunting. Deer are about all I hunt anymore. :roll:

Here in Colorado the season starts next Saturday (Sept. 8) through the 16th for both elk and deer. It is draw only for both species. My friend and I both have cow elk tags and he has a doe tag as well.

Wish me luck!

I guess I found the text for a smiley face with sun glasses. I was trying to say that muzzleloader season is the 8 th through the 16 th of September.

Season

Muzzleloader Elk and Deer open here in Colorado tommorrow. We are heading up and camping at 10,000 feet today.

Here in De. our season opens next friday 10-5-07, recently purchased my first muzzleloader so this will be the first time out this early without my bow in my hand!!!!! Cant wait!!!!

Back