NEW category!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
man4.png
Traditional Muzzle Loading category is STRICTLY dedicated to the Patched Round Ball Shooter!

The rules are simple, please keep the modern stuff out!

We understand that your "traditional" rifle may have come with a plastic stock, Fiber Optic Sights, Plastic ramrods, and that is fine. We are not that snobby!

Range Reports?
 Please keep using our Shooting Range section of the forum.

All we ask is that you stick to 100% Patched Round Balls for your shooting/hunting projectile when using this section of the forum.

Please enjoy the start of a new category for our members!

Jonathan,
Forum Administrator.

Great ! Now there is a place where us folk that lived under the rock can feel comfy and share our shooting experiences as well ! :lol:

Great move Jon!!  I love shooting my .58 Hawken flintlock but am still a novice with lots to learn.  

My brother went to the range with me and after shooting mine he bought the Thompson Center .45 Cal Hawken flinter that Carlos had for sale.  I bought him a years membership at a local shooting range near his home as a Christmas gift.  So I'm sure he'll get to shoot it quite regularly too!  Also when I go to his house for a visit we can run over to the range and have some round ball contests.  Lot of fun!

"Also when I go to his house for a visit we can run over to the range and have some round ball contests."

Here's a fun shooting contest for you guys Joe. Take a double blade axe stuck into a stump at 12/15 yards, put a small nail about 2" out on each side of the exposed blade and then hang a clay pigeon an each nail and start 'splittin' round balls. Your .58 will definitely have an advantage over your brothers .45, but, all in all, a great way to spend an hour or so having fun. Might even bet a 'cold' beverage of some sort on the most breaks.
Powderhorn09

You know how the saying goes Mark " You need balls to hunt with a muzzleloader"

Well, neat. Bought .50 and .54 round ball molds off E-Bay. Got a big pile of lead roof stacks. After the holidays will get after some round ball shooting.

BTW: Some guns with relatively fast twist barrels shoot patched round balls very well. But if you deviate from the powder charge the gun was sighted in with you will probably get horizontal dispersion.

My TC FireHawk .54 caliber shoots patched round balls very well. It has 1/38" twist rate. My cheap old CVA StagHorn also shoots patched round balls well. It has 1/32" twist rate.

:cheers: 

Great section Jon  :!:  :!:  :!: This will get a lot of posts I'm sure and I hope lots of info on those side locks  8) 

Ray.............. ;)

Pato I saw with my friends Wolf we had to reduce the charge a lot to get it to group with PRB.

Just joined the Forum today. Looks like a great Forum to learn about traditional firearms.

As to hunting, I do most of my hunting in the garage looking for things in very, very safe places.

I hope I can add value to the Forum based on my experience as black powder dealer in firearms, accessories, & components since 1972. I started out as a competitor beginning in 1962 in the N-SSA, then in round ball matches since 1966 in the NMLRA at state & national level. I shoot primarily black powder flintlock rifles in .40 & .50 caliber, and a couple of .36 caliber flintlock pistols.

I'm trying out my latest "toy", a custom-made 12 gauge flintlock SXS shotgun picked up at the 2012 NMLRA Southeastern Rendezvous.

I post regularly on NC Hunting & Fishing.com/Muzzleloading Forum. I am a NMLRA & NRA Life Member, and one of the NC Field Reps for the NMLRA.

Hope I can be of some help.

Buck Buchanan
Fayetteville Arms Room
"Accuracy is 99% concentration"

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Buck. You are by chance an ex USAF type are you? There used to be a fellow of your name that was in my old squadron.

I'd like to see some pics of that SxS flinter. I have 2 but both are percussion.

MLN1963, sorry no. US Army 1969-1972, JFKCMA, Fort Bragg, NC. I was a staff photographer at Pope AFB in its last year of operation, 2009-10.

Patocazador, got my feet wet with initial post, now have to "learn the ropes" around the forum and to learn how to post photos.

May have to take it to the CLA Show in Lexington, KY to identify the maker of the double barrel flint as it is unmarked. Either the maker was not skilled in engraving to sign his name on the top rib or did not have metal stamps to do the same.

D. Buck Stopshere said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just joined the Forum today. Looks like a great Forum to learn about traditional firearms.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As to hunting, I do most of my hunting in the garage looking for things in very, very safe places.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I hope I can add value to the Forum based on my experience as black powder dealer in firearms, accessories, & components since 1972. I started out as a competitor beginning in 1962 in the N-SSA, then in round ball matches since 1966 in the NMLRA at state & national level.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I shoot primarily black powder flintlock rifles in .40 & .50 caliber, and a couple of .36 caliber flintlock pistols.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm trying out my latest "toy", a custom-made 12 gauge flintlock SXS shotgun picked up at the 2012 NMLRA Southeastern Rendezvous.  [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I post regularly on NC Hunting & Fishing.com/Muzzleloading Forum. I am a NMLRA & NRA Life Member, and one of the NC Field Reps for the NMLRA.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hope I can be of some help.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Buck Buchanan[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fayetteville Arms Room[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Accuracy is 99% concentration"[/font]
Welcome aboard! Great to have you here with us.

As for posting picture, sign up with www.photobucket.com and you can upload pictures from you computer, onto that website and then after they are uploaded, copy the

Thanks for this forum! Now I won't feel like an abandoned child!! :cheers: :Salute:

Back