Bowtech Guardian?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooldog

Reaction score
Anyone own one of these yet? The old Darton Fury is needing to be replaced and I am drooling over the Guardian. Unfortunately, I cannot find anyone locally that has one.

tooldog

I cannot say I have seen one either but I do shoot a Bowtech '06 Tribute and absolutley LOVE it.

I can't imagine it but the Guardian is supposed to be MORE forgiving and smooth...

I would go for it in a minute..

Guardian is a great bow, one of the top three on the market this year if you go through all the different magazine polls.

33" ATA, 7+" brace height, very reasonable speeds (~316-320fps @ 30"/70# IBO). Excellent back wall, draw length adjustable with modules.

The overall draw of the cams is a bit more "stiff" than a standard single cam or cam and a half (Hoyt) systems, but the letoff is great and the bow is very easy to hold on target at full lock. Next to zero hand shock, very slim grip with a contoured shelf that cradles in nicely. The ability to back the limbs off enough to remove the strings is a nice feature for those that don't own a bow press and want to work on it.

It is a heavy bow, weights slightly more than the advertised, but not as bad as the Hoyt Vectrix or twitchy light like the Mathews Drenalin.

Overall it's a GREAT bow, but with all bows (especially in this price range $700+), I can't stress enough that you really need to shoot it. Most Bowtech shops are spaced within 60 miles of each other, and if you get ahold of Bowtech I'm sure they can get you directions to your local dealer. Specs look great on paper, but if doesn't fit your hand it's no use in the field.

I have shot both and find the Tribute with the smooth mods with 60# limbs to be the most accurate for me.

The Guardian seemed heavy to me. For Bowtec my money would be on the Tribute....Like the T/C commercial says..."I WANT one"!

I have also done very well with the Drenalin in the same limb configuration.

Twitchy????
:roll:

JJ, I have been lusting after your bow lately!! :lol:

JJ, I have been lusting after your bow lately!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow, that says alot Jim! 8)

My BIL brought home a Drenalin in 70lb and we shot his bow with my Tribute back to back over a few barley pops.. :lol: :partyman: Since shooting my bow last year he has been lusting for something to replace his decade old Nova. :mrgreen:

His bow was set about 65lbs and mine about 70... I will say that the draw was a tad smoother on the Drenalin. ( not sure if it was draw weight alone ) I have the smooth cams on mine and about 80% draw things get rather stiff on my setup compared to his... Mind you, I am splitting hairs here but I feel the Drenalin is worth consideration. Fully equiped the weight between both bows is nearly identical.

Speed? It was dark and we could not get a chrony reading.. :( I know I am shooting a 405gr arrow @ 298-300fps.

Both bows are very quiet maybe the bowtech is a tad softer but not by much or enough to make a difference. The bowtech makes a "doink" while the Drenalin makes a "fzzzzt" sound..

Thanks for all the info guys. I have already shot a Drenalin and although I liked it, it just didn't have a good feel for me. I will get hold of Bowtec and try to find someone around here where I can shoot one.

tooldog.

dog....The grip on the Bowtec, while meant to resist torque, is a lot different than the wider thicker grip of a Mathews. This would be the hardest thing for me to overcome. With your eyes closed at full draw,(not something I would recommend while hunting from a stand) :shock: all you have left is weight and grip until the moment of release....very important to me as the grip is my tether to the bow, my only solid connection.

jj...i really like the smooth cam on the bute...

Here in Massachusetts we had a tax free weekend, thus I bought a whole new archery set up. The bow is a Bowtech Guardian with all the cookies needed to hunt and shoot.

What I am impressed with is the accuracy, quietness, and forgiveness of use.

Tonight I shot a group at 25 yards in which the arrows were in a cloverleaf.

I would recommend one to anybody interested in a good hunting bow. I hope to use it on a deer in ten days.

I am now the proud new owner of a 2007 Bowtech Guardian! I shot many bows yesterday and a dealer about 35 miles away. It came down to two bows, the Switchback, and the Guardian. I walked out with the Guardian. I post one initial info once I get to shooting it this week.

tooldog.

I'm in the market for a new one as well. So if you don't mind, I gotta ask: How much did it set you back by the time you walked out the door after getting it all set up?

The bow itself was $749. I already had all my other accessories (sight, stabilizer, rest, etc) from my Darton Fury. They moved all the stuff over to the new bow and got me on the paper for no extra charge.

tooldog

I'm surprised that it came down to those 2 bows. I was rather underwhelmed by the XT. I guess I just never got it. I did however like the Drenalin.

Hey Spit, there is a company out there that makes Mathews like grips for the bowtech. :lol:

Doohan said:
I'm surprised that it came down to those 2 bows. I was rather underwhelmed by the XT. I guess I just never got it. I did however like the Drenalin.

Hey Spit, there is a company out there that makes Mathews like grips for the bowtech. :lol:

This is why there's so many bows on the market - I thought the draw cycle on the XT was much nicer than the Dren's.

Maybe "twitchy" for the Dren wasn't quite fair, but to be honest I like my bows to have a bit more heft to them over the Dren. I didn't care for the way the bottom cam kicked out after the shot on the Dren, but I'm sure that could be changed with a stab.

That Trib is a sweet bow, though... really hard to make a bad decision with all these choices.

I hope I made a good decision. It was an awfully hard choice. I am tempted to purchase a Shrewd Precision grip a to replace the factory 2 piece wood grips. I did get to sight it in yesterday and she really shoots sweet and smooth.

tooldog

Latest posts

Back