My new Accura is finally ready!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooter44n45

Reaction score
I picked up this Accura maybe a month ago. I shot it with open sights and was shooting 1" groups and that made me HAVE to scope it so I could see what it would really do. I got alot of good info on here from fellow board members and this is what I ended up with...

EABCO one piece scope base.
Warne Rings (medium)
Millet DPMS 1-4x scope.

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

Im very impressed with the quality of the EABCO scope base. Machining is clean, the finish is flawless, all screws matted up with the barrel as well as any base I have used in the past. This is my first experience with the Warne rings and Im hoping I made a good choice, I normaly use Burris Xtreme rings and lap them in. The scope is just too cool and the reticle is crisp and more defined than the pictures show. Glass is not quite what my Leupold scope is but its definately comparable and clear.

Im hoping the weather will allow me to get it sighted in tomorrow morning/afternoon.

Thanks for letting me brag on my new smoke pole! 8)

Underclocked said:
Should make for a good solid setup. Where are the targets? :wink:

We got some snow last night but Im hoping to be able to post some targets later on today :wink:

Went and shot today in the snow. I was using BH209 for the first time with Federal 209A primers and im not very impressed at the moment. I was shooting 80 and 90 grains with both .430 and.452 XTP's and was only getting 2" groups at 100 yards. I burnt through half a can of powder and I feel like I have some more work to do before I feel comfy hunting with it.

Are you guys that shoot BH through your Accuras getting better accuracy above 90 grains? Im thinking of going back to 100 grains of 777 tomorrow to see what that will do for me.

what sabots were you using? I was shooting some .452gr xtp mags some weeks ago and used the harvester mmp-24 with 120gr loose RS. Beautiful nickel size hole @ 100.

With mine, 90 grains by volume of BH209 seemed to be a sweet spot for 300 grain bullets. 100 opened the group a little so I just backed it down to 90 and left it there. I was shooting both 300 grain .452 mag and non-mag XTPs in Harvester crushed rib with Win209A primers.

Sorry, got my rifles confused - the Accura preferred 90 grains by volume. The Apex liked 95.

Im using the TC boxed XTP Mags with the supplied sabots and also have some .430 XTP's with green crush ribs. The .430's are grouping a tad better with the BH but before I scoped it, and was using 777, the .452's were the better choice. I feel like pulling my hair out..lol

Just trying to get it ready for our Jan 9 BP season and its cold and crappy out so I don't have the extra time to really work up a load. In the spring I want to order more sabot's and really spend alot of time working it up.

I'll try to hit the range today and try 100-120 loads. The BH209 gave me several hangfires/FTF and attributed that to the gun getting dirty and the weather being horrible. I'll try 100-120 of BH today and then I'll try some 777 again as well. Thankfully the range is 1/4 mile down the road.

Sorry about the hangfires, can't have that. I'm down to my last 100 CCIM primers, need to find more. Be sure & seat the B209 firmly. I have nothing against 777. I like B209 for a few reasons, one of the main being I can let the gun go a while before cleaning. I've had great luck with the 250grn SSTs/Shockwaves the last 2 years. I've read the few complaints but they have shot good for me & ='ed dead deer, all 14 I shot at. I may try a new bullet just for grins next Fall.

muskrat30 said:
Sorry about the hangfires, can't have that. I'm down to my last 100 CCIM primers, need to find more. Be sure & seat the B209 firmly. I have nothing against 777. I like B209 for a few reasons, one of the main being I can let the gun go a while before cleaning. I've had great luck with the 250grn SSTs/Shockwaves the last 2 years. I've read the few complaints but they have shot good for me & ='ed dead deer, all 14 I shot at. I may try a new bullet just for grins next Fall.

I like the lack of fouling that the BH209 offers and as far as cleaning, I have a stainless gun so that gets rid of some cleaning concerns when using 777. I still clean my guns the same day but when Im hunting, I dont spnd quit as much time on it as I do when Im home.

shooter44n45

My Accura will hang fire when the breech plug gets fouled with carbon in the flash hole. One should use a 7/64" drill to remove this carbon. Another possible cause for hang fire is if the load isn't compressed. The load needs to be compressed real tight. Another possible cause for hang fire is if the sabot is too loose. My Accura doesn't do well with crush rib sabot.

Hope you can get better accuracy; my rifle shoots super fine groups using 105g of BH209.

Well I headed off to the range this morning to once again find the magic load. I tried 100 grains of BH209 and got a group of around 2" and then a flyer. Frustrated, I loaded up 100 grains of 777 and fired another shot. After the smoke cleared, I squinted through the 4x scope and was unable to find a new hole in the target. I reloaded with another 100 grains and fired another shot, still no hole. Reloaded once again and fired, finally I can see a strike. I walked the 100 yards to the target and was extremely pleased to find this on my target...
IMG_1055.jpg

I gave the scope 1/2" left and packed up for the day. The only negative today is that I bent my rod and will need to obtain another one. This time I would like to get a rod with a "T" handle, will the Thompson rods fit CVA guns? I assume they are pretty universal other than length? My other .50 is at a friends house 2 hours away so I can't steal the rod from that gun.

Oh, as I was packing up, I noticed I only had the scope set on 3x instead of 4x. Not sure 4x would have helped with the group but who knows.

Nice shooting. Not sure if thompson rods will work, seems like they would if they are the same length. I need a new one too as i bent mine while loading. I dont know why cva doesn't make a better rod that doesn't bend. I bought a fiberglass rod for shooting around in the backyard and at the range.

You got one hell of a tight fitting load there. With all factory ramrods, its there so you can reload in the field. I only grab a couple handfuls of ramrod while seating a projectile to keep them from bending/breaking. You want to load with short strokes of the ramrod and not try to go with it all at once.'

Excellent shoot! And T7 doesnt cost an arm & a leg like that other stuff.

It's better to load in long smooth stroke of the rod if possible. I don't know where FG gets some of this stuff.

I would just replace the rod with either a solid aluminum rod or a Delrin rod of the same diameter and un-extended length, then buy a good range rod for cleaning and range work.

I've never had an issue with my Accura's rod. I stated once that it had never been extended - that isn't true, I did extend it once just to measure the extension. You don't need to extend it to reload in the field. (But you might to patch if using T7).

I'll be, that one likes T7!! :wink:

http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/shop/item.asp?item=318438 you would have to try awfully hard to break that thing and if you bend it , it just doesn't matter. It's also pretty quiet in the thimbles.

Add a 10-32 t-handle and you should have it covered. Cains sells a Hand EZE handle with is nothing but a wooden ball with a 10-32 fitting attached. It would work but give you no extension. T-handle would be better.

Underclocked said:
http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/shop/item.asp?item=318438 you would have to try awfully hard to break that thing and if you bend it , it just doesn't matter. It's also pretty quiet in the thimbles.

Add a 10-32 t-handle and you should have it covered. Cains sells a Hand EZE handle with is nothing but a wooden ball with a 10-32 fitting attached. It would work but give you no extension. T-handle would be better.

Ill be looking into this rod, thanks a bilion and thats half the price of my local shop for a TC rod!

My warden and I were at WallyWorld today and they had 777 marked down to $21.00 a jug so I picked up another one. My loads do load kind of tight but not horrible. The rod bent when I was reloading between shots without swabbing. After I bent it I swabbed between every shot. So far I have around 30 shots through the gun and now that Im getting the groups I wat, Im even more satisfied with the gun. This spring/summer I want to see how well it likes GreatPlains conicals. I shot a deer back in 95' with a 385 grain and it looked like someone poored a gallon of red paint on the ground. Love the flatter shooting sabots but boy do conicals put down a deer!

Latest posts

Back