Taping muzzle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plenty of options. I'm not a big taper. I would only do it if going out in known adverse/wet conditions. In my book just snowning wouldn't make me feel the need. I'd keep the muzzle down of course. I may think differently on a wilderness hunt compared to a farmland hunt.

I have much better luck getting the finger cots on than the balloons with out tearing them up on the guns that have a front sight.
I also carry some in my hunting kit with my reloads. I do some thing else not many do, I put bees wax on the back end of the barrel on the Omega,Triumph and Endeavor before I close the action this tends to seal then back end of the barrel. I am old school I believe in keeping my powder dry. We do have down pours at hunting season here sometimes I took the best buck I ever got in a down pour. Lee

I have taped mine as well, but most of the time just keep muzzle pointed down.

I tape all my hunting rifles, ML or centerfire for the duration of the season. I now use masking tape and change it if it gets wet. I make sure to put my charged ML in a warm place for a while to drive out the moisture before taping so it doesn't start rusting inside because I always hunt with a 'dirty' bore. I've done it for years (even in the T7 days) and have had excellent results. I put an extra wrap around the end of the barrel so if I shoot I can retape right away. Used the black condoms once and they were OK but they got chewed up after a day of tracking in the brush and i got a rust ring at the base after a couple days of wet weather so went back to tape. I've never cleaned the bore of any rifle during hunting season and they are pristine.

smong2000 said:
I make sure to put my charged ML in a warm place for a while to drive out the moisture before taping so it doesn't start rusting inside because I always hunt with a 'dirty' bore.

I don't think this works. The air in the barrel will react to hot or cold whether you do this or not. I always keep my gun outside in my car or on my ATV in a case. This way the air stays the same (aclimitized) and will not accumulate moisture.

I think the tape works the best. The muzzle condums always manage to come off. No pun intended! ;)

Funny story... went hunting with a good friend of mine last week (first time we have ever hunted together) We go to leave for the hunt and he grabs the black tape and puts 2 pieces on there (X pattern across the end of the barrel) I asked "what the heck is that for?" He says we're going to be walking some steep hills...if you slip and fall this keeps your barrel from getting clogged up with mud. I couldn't stop laughing... I told him I've been hunting for 30 years and I've never gotten mud in my barrel. Fastforwards to the afternoon hunt... his brother and I are walking some thickets and we finally get out into an open field... I sling my Savage 10ML over my shoulder... the sling comes undone and I face plant my barrel face down in wheat stubble field. I start putting everything back together and his brother says "Dude... your barrel... it's plugged solid." :shock: I couldn't believe it! Did we all have a helluva good laugh on the drive back to his house after the hunt! :lol:

Latest posts

Back