If you were ordering a new NULA.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnT

Reaction score
Ok Guys, I am almost ready to bite the big bullet here.

I know this has probably come up before, but seams a lot of you are also into the 45 cals of the Smoking variety now.

I would like to know, if you were ordering a new NULA, would you get a 45 cal or a 50 cal. and Why?

I am leaning toward the 50, but would like your opinions. Does anyone here have an NULA in 45? I seem to think most are 50 cals. I am thinking about placing an order and would like some opinions. If I go through with this I will call and speak to the folks at NULA in the next month or so.

A couple of other questions,
1. I cannot see the Safety lever in the Pictures on the website. Is it mounted in the typical Remington location?

2. Are the Barrels chrome moly or stainless, I know he is finishing with a matte black finish, but am unsure of the metal type used?

3. Do the stocks have a cheek peice? If so is it a thick one? Could someone post of picture of it if it does have one?

Thanks,

ShawnT

NULA

I would stick with the 50cal, personally. I have more experience with 50 cal guns. Chrome moly barrels, safety is in the same place as Remington but is a little different. Bolt is locked closed when in the safe position, but if you push down on the lever the bolt can be opened in a safe manner. Yes to the cheek piece but I don't have a photo of that handy.

Thanks, Lawdwas.

I was looking through some old pics posted here and saw the safety on one of them. So far most pics are of the right side so I don't see the cheek peice.

Thanks,

ShawnT

Some stock pics and a picture on the scale for good measure!

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

Ya'll are killing me! I haven't placed my order yet, but I have already spoken to Mr. Forbes and won't be able to get a gun before OK muzzleloader season this year.

Lawdwaz, you da man! :yeah: Thanks a lot for posting the pics. Now I am really drooling. :drool: The cheek peice does not look like it is as thick as one on say the Disc Elite. Plus it will be more forward too since they are 13 1/2 " length of pull verses 14 1/2 for the elite. I think that might be ok since I have a couple of centerfire rifles with smallish cheek peices that worked ok for me. I am surprised a little at the weight, though that is still not bad for an MZ. I saw he had them listed as "under 5 lbs" on his web site, so I figured with a scope and the rings it would be just a tad bit over 6 lbs. What Leupold do you have on that rifle?

Thanks,

ShawnT

VX III 2.5x8 in supplied Talley mounts.

Don't know what to say about the weight.

Here is a 50 cal Encore with a VariX II 2x7 on the scale........

IMG_0636.jpg

7 lbs 2oz compared to 8 lbs 12oz. Fair amount of difference.

I have no beef with the Encore, killed a fair amount of deer with it and enjoyed the gun. Still have it.

7 lb 2 oz is still a nice carry weight and would not bother me at all. I had just been reading the specs on Melvins web site when I saw your post so it sort of stood out to me. I also had thought about getting a TC Endevor but around here most are over $800. So If I am going to spend that much I might as well get the custom and really get what I think I would like better anyway. I love bolt guns better. There has always been something about break open actions that makes me hesitate about getting one, at least in rifles, not sure what it is. The TC fits me ok and feels good but I always wind up buying a bolt action. I have a few break open shotguns, but just seem to prefer bolt actions.

Just thought of another question for you, does the NULA breech plug have a vent liner? Don't think I ever heard anyone say one way or ther other.

Thanks,

ShawnT

Go with the 45. I love my 45 Pacnor conversion. 195Gr Barnes BX's at 2700 FPS. Others are pushing 3,000 fps which gives ridculously flat trajectories. For me, most groups have been 2" or less at 150 yards. Very little recoil. None compared to 300gr bullets at 2400fps. 8) It's a dream... Given the choice, I don't know why anyone would take the 50cal over the 45cal unless wanting to shoot 300gr bullets saboted for moose or some other large game. Of course, you can still shoot 300gr bullets in the 45cal, but need to go sabotless for that.

It is official! I am placing my order on Monday.

I will still have to hunt with my Encore Pro Hunter during the Oklahoma ML season, but I should have it in time to hunt with it the last month of the Texas rifle season.

lwh723,

What is the Barnes BX? I'm not framiliar with that bullet. Do you use the supplied sabot or change it out? I am leaning toward the 50 cal only because I have been shooting the 50 for quite a while and like the big caliber walop it puts on them. But do admit I have been watching what others are doing with the 45's. Seems that a lot have found it a better "Long Range MZ caliber". I know that some have shot the 50 NULA's (and savages) at some pretty impressive distances. Most of my shooting would be up to 200 for a "Long shot". In the past anything from 30 to 125 was the norm. We have done some thinning to our woods on the farm and now it is pretty conceiveable to get 200 from my stands.

So far I am a bit surprized that no one here has the NULA in 45.

Thanks,

ShawnT

ShawnT said:

Porbably because everyone is shooting a Rick Bibby 45 DD Pacnor Conversion :D or just doing the conversion alone (which is what I did).

The "BX" is just the Barnes 45cal sabot/40cal Expander. Some people refer to them as the BX. I haven't done a ton of testing, but as of right now, I'm throwing away the supplied sabot and using a Harvester Light Blue. As far as knock down power, this will be my first year out with it. But I can't imagine a 195gr bullet 2700FPS isn't going to lay some smack down! :D I won't disagree that some have shot nice groups at distance with the 50; however, getting consistent accuracy to 200 yards has been a walk in the park for most with the 45 DD PCNR. Let me know if you've got anymore questions. I would suggest taking your time...whatever you go with, it's probably already to late for this year. :D

lwh723,

Thanks for explination on the bullet. I am not in a big hurry to place the order till I make up my mind on caliber. You are right I know I can't have it for this year and will be using my MK95 anyway. I also have a buddy trying to get me to wait and build a new Varmint rifle for Prairie Doggin next year too. :? :think:

Thanks for the input,

ShawnT

GaryU has a .45 NULA, I was in contact with him last year, but he doesnt seem to visit here anymore. Never got any info on the .45.

ShawnT said:
lwh723,

Thanks,

ShawnT

Im also looking to order a new NULA MZ rifle, but will for sure order a .50cal because the quality and availability of bullets are so much better than a .45.

.50 because it is super accurate.

.45 if you already had the .50! Bullet selection in .45 is very poor and you CANNOT BEAT THE STOPPING POWER OF THE 275 BE.

Shawn,

If you would like to talk NULA.. let me know.. I would be glad to drop you a line.

pm me if ya like.

Doohan has a sweet NULA outfit. He can give some good advice.

Latest posts

Back