SNOW ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahRob

Reaction score
Anyone get hammered today like we did . For the first storm of the year it was a good one . I drove up to my elk hunting area and there was a foot 1/2 of snow but no sign of elk . This year that area was hammered . They have a archery , then muzzle loader deer , then general elk , general deer and now the Muzzle loader Elk. So the area is hunted hard from august to the first week on November with only a few days between the hunts . The rifle hunt just ended Saturday . I hope with all these storms coming in that it will push the elk off the mountains and down into the area i will be hunting , I will be hunting just for a few hrs tomorrow but have all next week off , But there will only be 5 days left for the season .Plus the area i hunt has a ton more hunters , they are doing bridge work on two other area's near buy so the hunter can't get in there and they are now camping in the area i hunt . There was at least 8 more trailers already there than last year and i bet there are more since i was there this morning . Only good thing is i am one of the few who does not have a 4 wheeler and hunts on foot , so i have a big majority of the woods to myself . :D 95 % of these guys never get off there 4 wheelers unless they see something :roll: Last year i watched as a group of these guys left camp at sunrise , spooked a herd of elk 200 yards from camp and did the same thing every sunset and the never saw or knew the herd was there . I was very funning watching this go on every day . I could tell when the 4 wheelers were coming as the Elk would bolt from the creek ( 30 yards from the trail ) minutes before the 4 wheelers showed up :roll: :D This went on every morning for the 7 days i hunted there last year . No spike bulls though just a couple lousy 6x6 , I can only hunt spikes !! :wink: :wink:

I've got to get back to Utah next year. I sure do miss the Uintah's.

Good Luck! We are suppose to get tomorrow what you got today. I'm done for the year. I hunted all of last week and saw one cow who saw me first and she was running when I saw her. The elk had definitly moved on from where they were 4 weeks prior for muzzleloader season. Some folks we talked too that had mules and some luck said the elk were "very hi". I can only assume they moved there because of the pressure. During ML season, all the signs and elk we saw were within 2 miles of the main Forest Service Rd. Went in further and didn't see any fresh signs.

89 Degrees with 98% humidity.
This is what it looks like here

piratepool1.jpg

DANG black powder, I had to go put on a jacket just to look at that picture. It's seventy-eight degrees on the patio thermometer right now.

I'm thinking a little global warming wouldn't hurt up north - but them southern tier states are just too hot for me.

Underclocked said:
I'm thinking a little global warming wouldn't hurt up north - but them southern tier states are just too hot for me.

no i don't wan't warm weather when i hunt ..love to hunt when we have snow on the ground .makes tracking easier ,and bucks are in full rut.

Cajun said:
Good Luck! We are suppose to get tomorrow what you got today. I'm done for the year. I hunted all of last week and saw one cow who saw me first and she was running when I saw her. The elk had definitly moved on from where they were 4 weeks prior for muzzleloader season. Some folks we talked too that had mules and some luck said the elk were "very hi". I can only assume they moved there because of the pressure. During ML season, all the signs and elk we saw were within 2 miles of the main Forest Service Rd. Went in further and didn't see any fresh signs.

The biggest herd we saw today was on top of this mountain in the open area . !6 cows two bulls . One was a 6x6 and the other 4x4 . Its a spike only hunt !!

elkhunting2009c.jpg

snow

Western NE getting lots of snow. I hate the stuff. These guys around here that claim to love to hunt deer in it never get out of there pick up or have never walked a mile or three in deep snow. LOL
Wayles

Re: snow

wayles said:
Western NE getting lots of snow. I hate the stuff. These guys around here that claim to love to hunt deer in it never get out of there pick up or have never walked a mile or three in deep snow. LOL
Wayles

Sure makes it easier to see the elk , Quieter when stocking , And i hate hot weather, but your right i wont walk miles in deep snow 6' to a foot yes . Then its snow shoe time .But our snow is very very light , Plus i am not going to get miles away from my truck in this weather , not very safe thing to do, even though i carry . a space blanket , fire starting stuff , ( alway a over kill ) 4 lighters . waterproof matches , two flash lights . 25 mile walkie talky and extra batteries for all , a small tarp . two small cans of canned heat , a tin cup and coco , a hand saw and a first aid kit . If i ever have to spend the night , it will be a long night BUT i should be OK . :D Then if you look in the back of my truck i have Snow shoes , snow chains ( two sets ) floor jack , tire pump and repair kit , tool kit , extra food and sleeping bags even if i am not ''PLANNING'' on spending the night and behind the seat tare two extra jackets . Hunting in weather like this, miles from a paved road and help , you better be ready for anything .

frontier gander said:
Got to love it!

My wife thinks i am crazy . I love to hunt Elk in the snow , i wish i could hunt deer in the snow too but we don't have any Muzzy deer hunts that late . I will not hunt the gun seasons , way tooo many people , i would stop hunting first . We have 1/10 of the hunters during the muzzy elk hunt then the rifle hunt , almost the same with the deer seasons . :D

saxman1 said:
89 Degrees with 98% humidity.
This is what it looks like here

piratepool1.jpg

98% humidity ??? might be dryer in the water !!! LOL :D I am very warm blooded and i think i would die !! Now my wife would love it !!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

snow

6" to foot is okay hunting. I can't remember the last time i got to hunt in PA gun opener in the snow. Years ago, we all try and wish it in every Monday after Thanksgiving ! Love that stuff! Butr Sax, how can you shoot them deer from the deep end of that pool? :p

Back