found a great way to clean a breech plug.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been getting pretty good results using 409 on my breechplug. Just spray it and use a nylon brush and its done.

NimrodRx said:
You're missing my point.

If I was shooting "real black powder" i too would have no problems with water based solvents.

BH209 IS NOT a BP like propellent. It is nitro. period.

Start thinking about it like you do out of your MLII, not your Sharps.

Blackhorn 209 is a cellulose based progressive burning powder if my info is correct.

I shot my Triumph (24 shots) & a Vision (6 shots) today with BH-209 and used Windex w/vinegar for the first time. Worked excellent on both barrel & breech and was very fast. It may be my "go to" cleaner as it worked much better & faster than Hoppes. By the way Chuck, that Triumph is shooting GREAT with multiple loads; a couple consistantly under an inch.

I guess it is just a matter of personal preference. If it works for you, go for it.

Personally, I don't want water near my rifles. Much less windex and vinegar. Windex contains ammonia. Vinegar is aceti acid. When mixed, ammonium acetate is formed. Not something I want in or on my rifles. If heat is added, this salt breaks down to acetamide, a known carcinogen.

I will continue to follow the manufacturer's recommendation and use oil based solvents. Besides, I just plain love the smell of Hoppes. Splash a little on before bed. Drives the wife crazy ;)

Back