Warning about purchases from Randy Wakeman

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieLuvR

Reaction score
I recently purchased 2 of the Savage hex breech plugs from Randy Wakeman.

The package was sent via UPS priority envelope. When it was received, the package was torn and one of the breech plugs was missing.

I sent an email explaining the situation to Mr. Wakeman. This is his response via email.......

My responsibility ends when the package is shipped. You might want to schedule a friendly visit with your postmaster. The Post Office was paid to deliver the package, not to destroy or damage it.

--Randy

I will never purchase another items from this jerk. I suggest anyone considerings buying anything from Mr. Wakeman, that they think twice about it, and purchase it some place else.

Did he put insurance on the package? Did the USPS put a damage tag on it as proof it showed up at your doorstep messed up? Might want to take that route to get that money back (about $40, right?) Not very good customer service skills from him with a response like that! I'd be interested in hearing how this works out as I was going to order some items from him for my 10MLII.

I paid via Paypal, and I'm using their dispute procees.

For shipping the breech plugs, all Wakeman did was throw them into the priority envelope. Now shipping material/padding, no nothing.

Basically I'm out $31 if the dispute process doesn't work.

Never a big RW fan. When I was shooting a Savage ML he was not that out going or helpful.

Wasn't he banned from this forum for a while? What was that about?

Good luck with your PayPal dispute.

I have no ties to wakeman , I have no idea who he is. Do you think he ripped the envelope and only put one plug in there , but charged you for two ? Why is it his responsibility to insure the package. You're the one that wants the product , why didn't you tell him you wanted it insured and send the money for it along with your order ? I'm not getting your line of reasoning ! !

not trying to stir the pot but, I've bought several things from Randy such as a laminate stock to a mess of vent liners, always shipped fairly quick (even before my check cleared) and always got what I ordered. I don't think the way he responded is the best, I hope this works out for you

416LJT said:
I have no ties to wakeman , I have no idea who he is. Do you think he ripped the envelope and only put one plug in there , but charged you for two ? Why is it his responsibility to insure the package. You're the one that wants the product , why didn't you tell him you wanted it insured and send the money for it along with your order ? I'm not getting your line of reasoning ! !

I think it is the sellers responsibility to package their product well and give the customer their money's worth. Apparently you and RW have the same attitude about customers...

My son went through he same thing when the car parts he purchased came in broken package. He was missing parts....PayPal handled in his favor, stating that is was the responsibility of the seller to deliver goods purchased in good faith, and that it was the sellers responsibility to purchase insurance.

He got his money.

I agree, RW should have insured and packaged it better for shipping. He probably has sent countless breech plugs that way but it still does not make it right. He should absolutely make it right for you.

You spin the wheel and lose, you pay! Pay up RW. (just my opinion)

paia said:
416LJT said:

I think it is the sellers responsibility to package their product well and give the customer their money's worth. Apparently you and RW have the same attitude about customers...

I don't have any customers. I'm just a shooter that buys things from providers when I need something. You don't need to be pissed at me. I just asked a question , that's all.

Though I don't have a dog in this fight, I have been on a couple of boards with RW over the years, and his response is not surprising to me. He comes across as a very arrogant individual.

I wish you all the best in resolving your dispute.

I've read RW's web site. In one entry on the web site he is singing the praises of a certain rifle or muzzleloader product. A few entries down the page he is bad mouthing the same product. Money talks.

It will be interesting to see how PayPal decides this. Let us know how it works out.

edge.

I have experienced similar responses from him... I purchased vent liners from him that he indicated would last hundreds of shots. I got less than 80 from the first, less than 50 from the second, and stopped at 30 on the 3rd. I stopped using his liners. I wasted dozens of shots on the first because I wouldn't believe it was the liner that caused my groups to open up... switched to a new liner and accuracy was back, groups started opening again with the second, switched to a third liner. Pulled that liner after the season and never went back.

I asked Randy if he got a bad batch, explained what happened... even got torch tip cleaners to measure how wide the liner hole had opened. They were wider than what "hardened" liners should have been with the amount of shooting done. I was accused of trying to steal from him, wanting a "lifetime" supply of liners from him.

Last time I ever dealt with him... I never even asked him to replace them.

He doesn't deserve my hard earned dollars...

Latest posts

Back