How much breech plug grease on a XT plug?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcollins

Reaction score
I've polished the bore on my BC with JB Paste, as well as rubbing it all over the plug's threads to really smooth them up. The manual says to put grease on the threads but doesn't really define how much. On my Knight that the plug screwed in, I only put it on the front 1/3 since it would eventually works it's way back.

Since the XT slides in and then turns 90 degrees to engage the threads, how much grease is required on the plug - a light film or is it more like frosting a cake? Thanks.

i do not use grease i use slip-2000 ews synthetic oil everywhere on my triumph.it's worked very well for me....karl

Sabotloader is the best one to discuss this with but here is a hint.
They make about 6 different thickness of Teflon tape and it works really good on XT BP's if done right. Wrap one layer of the right size tape on your XT BP from the rings back stretched a little give it a light spray of Birchwood Casey Synthetic oil and put it in. You will find the clean up very nice. Lee

k

i do not use grease i use slip-2000 ews synthetic oil everywhere on my triumph.it's worked very well for me....karl

With a triumph plug and it is the only one that I know of that I can say this about, but you do exactly what you are suggesting with the synthetic oil and it should work just fine.

Myself I really prefer the single wrap of white teflon tape from the nose to the 'O' ring. As Lee says he uses a a little touch of Synthetic oil on top of the tape... should work just fine.

The gas rings are metal they need to be cleaned of a powder residue and lightly lubricated to protect them from rust.

As i said I prefer to wrap the rings also - Lee does not but I am sure the rings are lubricated. If you were to wrap the plug and rings as I do you will find it is a bit stiff turning it in to the home positions - no prblem getting it out after shooting, but the tape on the rings does tighten that tolerance up...

Here is a pic....

SpeedBreechWrapped.jpg

Another thing make sure that the gaps in the gas rings are staggered after you clean them and before you re-install the plug.

Here is a close up of the rings...

SpeedBreechGasRing.jpg

the triumph is the only plug i use just slip-2000 on. it has made it thru multiple range sessions this way and has worked well only showing slight residue on the plug threads after 20 rnds.my knight plugs do get teflon tape and then a little oil..........karl

Lee 9 said:
They make about 6 different thickness of Teflon tape

Wrap one layer of the right size tape

What is the thickness of the "right size tape" or do we mean "width"?

Thanks.

tpcollins

What is the thickness of the "right size tape" or do we mean "width"?

When buying teflon tape the color of the tape signifies the thickness of the tape. Without looking it up I can not tell you the actual thickness of each tape.

The most common tapes are 'white' the thinnest tape and normally called plumbers tape, then 'pink' a medium thickness, again used mostly on water line connections and the tape that TC sells, and last one is 'yellow' the thicker gas line tape.

You can get these in different width's also but 1/2" is the probably the most common.

Does the tape work for all the BPs? Specifically on the Traditions Evolution and Vortek?

Chick

I use tape on all of my inlines... some take the white tape some take the pink tape - but all them use tape and it works very well for me.

However, I do not have any of the rifles that you mentioned.

I use a light coat of "Super Lube" teflon grease on my Triumph bp. I shoot bh209 exclusively so I don't really sweat the grease thing all that much.

Given my experience, the plug seals very well as is and remains hand removable and clean without tape even after 20 shots of 777 or bh209.

To each his own :eek:

Latest posts

Back