.25 acp

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahRob

Reaction score
I decided to to drop the o-ring breech plug and make a .25 acp plug . EASY !!!! The only primers i found( local )where small rifle Remington Klean bore . No hang fires but it is hot out side . I need to find a cooler big enough to put my encore in and then take up the hill , open it up while frozen . The breech plug i used had a hole a little bigger than stock . sorry i do not know the size !! :roll: :oops: I did drill the hole for the . 25 acp brass a little too deep so i will be making another one as soon as the new breech plugs come . I also only had one .25 acp brass so it was slow going being that i had to re-prime the brass every shot . I only shot 10 rounds because i dropped the one brass i had in the very tall grass and could not find it . Just ordered a bunch of new brass . This target is only at 50 yard off the hood of my truck with a 1x scope . The first three shots were in the same whole and i thought i missed the whole target with shot 2 and 3 The bottom right two were all me i knew when i pulled the trigger they were going there . so far i am impressed with the .25 acp and black horn . Only shot 10 rounds but the breech plug needed no cleaning on the inside . Looking forward seeing how well is does with 30-40 round through it and frozen .

Are small rifle primer hotter than small pistol primers ???

Thanks -RobK

25acp_MG_4089jpg.jpg

UtahRob said:
One more ??? are all .25 acp brass the same ??

they have a good price on them here . BUT ON BACK ORDER !!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=178612

Rob,

Unfortunately, not all .25 ACP brass is the same, not even the brass from the same lot. Some are not trimmed to length very well. Good luck getting that brass before season. Did they tell you how long to expect to wait?

I'm afraid you won't like the results with the small primers when it cools down a bit. I have tested these with the Small Rifle Primers, slight hesitations to hang-fires. I could hear the hammer fall before ignition.

I further tested the Small Rifle Magnum Primers, and they worked much better, but not even close to 100%. Conicals were hang-fires, Hornady FPB's were delayed, the tight saboted bullets were pretty good, but not good enough that I would consider hunting with the .25 ACP ignition.

If someone would make a breech plug for a Large Rifle Magnum Primer, I think we would have the best ignition system. A system like Ultimate uses has got to be the best ignition system I have ever seen. For use in the tip-up rifles like T/C & H&R/NEF, you would need shortened brass to maintain breech plug integrity.

I really think the reason you had success is the warm weather and enlarged flash hole. As long as you can contain the pressure in the brass, and the flash hole is not to large that powder migrates into the brass, you might have a winner.

209 primers are the weak link shooting magnum loads of BH209, but are almost the only reliable alternative at this point.

Busta said:
UtahRob said:
One more ??? are all .25 acp brass the same ??

they have a good price on them here . BUT ON BACK ORDER !!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=178612

Rob,

Unfortunately, not all .25 ACP brass is the same, not even the brass from the same lot. Some are not trimmed to length very well. Good luck getting that brass before season. Did they tell you how long to expect to wait?

I'm afraid you won't like the results with the small primers when it cools down a bit. I have tested these with the Small Rifle Primers, slight hesitations to hang-fires. I could hear the hammer fall before ignition.

I further tested the Small Rifle Magnum Primers, and they worked much better, but not even close to 100%. Conicals were hang-fires, Hornady FPB's were delayed, the tight saboted bullets were pretty good, but not good enough that I would consider hunting with the .25 ACP ignition.

If someone would make a breech plug for a Large Rifle Magnum Primer, I think we would have the best ignition system. A system like Ultimate uses has got to be the best ignition system I have ever seen. For use in the tip-up rifles like T/C & H&R/NEF, you would need shortened brass to maintain breech plug integrity.

I really think the reason you had success is the warm weather and enlarged flash hole. As long as you can contain the pressure in the brass, and the flash hole is not to large that powder migrates into the brass, you might have a winner.

209 primers are the weak link shooting magnum loads of BH209, but are almost the only reliable alternative at this point.

I decided to order brass form a site that sells the .25 acp breech plugs . If the .25 ACP and Bh 209 don't work together i may just go back to pyrodex or 777 . Not sure why but my breech plugs just don't last very long with 209 primers , they load up with carbon ( Fast ) then flash is cutting groves in the breech plug below the primer . Then i get flames and smoke blowing by the 209 from the 209 , using powder or just firing the primers , does not matter . :evil:

UtahRob

In my limited testing with BH - I have never had a problem with a 25 acp and a CCI-450 primer (Small Rifle Mag Primer). Not even a hint of a hang fire...

But, remember that is with maybe 30-40 shots...

that breechplug may be a good candidate for modification...

If you can't use it for .25ACP. maybe make it fit .22 hornet or maybe even something that take large rifle primers, 30-30???

Busta said:
UtahRob said:
I really think the reason you had success is the warm weather and enlarged flash hole. As long as you can contain the pressure in the brass, and the flash hole is not to large that powder migrates into the brass, you might have a winner. .

even though i blew it and drilled the hole for the .25 ACP brass a little too deep i was surprised that i had as little blow by as i did , I drilled it atv least 1/16 '' too far .

Do you know whats so special about Small rifle Bench rest primers over non bench rest ???

Thanks .
RobK.

I have two 22 hornet breech plugs for sale with plenty of cut brass. I use the CCI-450 primer

Chocdog

I have two breech plug drilled the right dept for the 25 acp , but i am waiting for the brass . Primers are the hard thing to get . My Local Cal Ranch store gets shipments on Wednesdays and i need to get there in the am or they are gone . Last week the got 10,000 in and the were gone by noon . :shock:

Back