New .45cal Mould

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Got this in yesterday. I did a 50/50 mix of chilled lead and lead pipe. It's a frosty color due to it being harder. The .45 I plan on shooting them in has a larger bore than my other 45 is seems. I just wanted to make sure these stay in place while in the bore. Harder lead does just that!

Also, this new mould release spray is awesome! It puts candle soot to shame. The pot was scrubbed clean of rust and lead, heated, then I lightly sprayed the pot & ladle. Lead flows like water now and so much damn cleaner. Very little slag build up now.
53184510.jpg

53005010.jpg

52877910.jpg

52633910.jpg

53088110.jpg

My hat is off to ya on Ladle Casting, I tried it, GAVE UP and went back to a Lee 20 pound Bottom pour, I modified the Spout to Fill my Big molds FAST! I can cast up 100s of Awesome bullets with my Bottom Pour in a Hurry, But it didn’t come real easy, it took some modifying and plenty of practice. If you screw up and open the spout just a little to much it will pour to Fast and Splash back out of the Mold, theres a Fine line! I use the Stem adjustment as well. Once you get the Hang of a Bottom pour Pot you can REALLY go to town Making High Quality bullets FAST. But I really need to get my Ladles back out and Make myself Learn how to Cast Quality bullets with them

Lookin' good.  :Red tup:  What weight are those .45 casts FG :?:
:scratch: Would knurling softer lead cast bullets with a file also tighten them up in the bore :?:

Marty, 228gr. I could knurl the top band for a snugger fit! I will have to try that and see how it does.

I am still experimenting/testing our conical bullet lube, and so I decided to get these lubed up today and let them set up over the next few days.
54423210.jpg

52642910.jpg

Jonathan, never thought of using that spray on the pot.  I use it on the ladle and like you said the sludge falls right off.  I'll have to clean my pot out and try it.

How long does that Spray seem to last? That stuff has me curious as well for the Pot itself, These Bottom Pour Pots are a Pain to keep Clean, Actually Rust Free, I’ve found it to be impossible unless you empty and clean the Pot after each Casting Session (Which is a Royal PITA!!) 

I am really skeptical about ANYTHING in my Mold Cavities or on the Sprue Plate, I have tried a tiny spot of Beeswax on the Sprue Plate Bolt in the past, Bullshop Sprue plate lube (looks exactly like Synthetic 2 Stroke Oil, And I’ve read where MANY others believe it to be as well) No matter how small the amount used, it ALWAYS finds it’s way in to the Cavities, and then the Problems begin!! I end up Casting and Culling a PILE of Bullets til i get the Cavities Burned out Clean again. I have found it WAY better to NEVER ad ANYTHING in the Cavities to begin with! Again, this is where a Good Steel Bullet Mold comes in to play, If you run the Sprue Plate loose there is NO Worries of Galling, An Aluminum Mold on the other hand wil Gall in a HURRY, and can be completely Ruined in 1 Casting Session, I have seen it first hand  :D  I avoid Aluminum Molds
   What i have found when using Anything in the Mold itself, or Sprue Plate is i Get HORRIBLE Bullet Fill out, Wrinkles in them, and Rounded Bullet Bases. This is why i prefer a Steel Mold, I run the Sprue plate loose so it NEVER needs any kind of Lube, I have NEVER had an issue with Bullets Sticking in my Molds, I use a Sprue Plate Bat and lightly Tap the Nut/Bolt of the Handle (NEVER the Mold) I open my Sprue Plates with my Hand, A welder Gloved hand that is  :D

Back