Reel Maintenance

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Hey guys what about these casting reels of mine, what do I need to do for maintenance? They are only 1 year old and I am getting ready to change the line, do I need to takem apart? They have never seen salt water :lol:

Rifleman, I usually look at the manual and at least hit all the oil points. What type of reels do you have? I have got my reels off the rods and am going to check the line and clean and oil. My Penn 209's I will also polish all the chrome and grease gear assemblies.
It is getting close to that time. I am looking forward to heading to Alton, Ill. and getting after them bluecats. I got a different boat in the late summer, it is a 1999 Sylvan aluminum 20 ft deep vee with a walk thru windshield. I put a 175 hp Evinrude on it, and a 24 volt auto pilot Minn Kota. I am presently looking at one of those new gps fish finders with a color screen. Its the first boat I have ever owned or operated that has a steering wheel. What a change!

Hi Dwight. If reel only used in FW its first season & seems to be working smoothly....I'd say just a lite lube on level wind gear & any other oilable externals should be sufficient. Most quality reels are well lubed from factory & unless used in SW or extreme HD FW use...ok not to tear down each year.

Thanks Loggy that is what I was figuring but not sure. Peteo, let us know how that autopilot works I was thinking 'bout one of those myself.

I have a number of casting reels from Abu Garcia's, 5600's, 6500's, and 7000's to larger Penn's like 209's and 310GTI's plus one Penn 112H. The 112H is a salt water only reel for me though.

This is a good link...I've used Reel Magic to keep the line in good shape it is also a good spray for lubrication and maintenance.

http://fishing.about.com/library/weekly/aa100499.htm

This article recommends a newer more updated product as well.

http://fishing.about.com/gi/dynamic/off ... icant.html

Hope this helps Dwight,

Hey Rifleman, I used the auto-pilot last year and it works like a dream. It does not work off of laser but by something close to compass north. The way I sorta understand it is that you aim the trolling motor head the direction you want to go. The bubble compass in the head is then oriented with magnetic north and the potentiometers provide feedback to the drive motor for left or right correction. You will have to correct the aim point depending on cross wind drift.
We basically sit facing the back of the boat and it just takes us on our power drift. I have used it in the Mississippi to control our down river drift and to keep the boat front pointed up river. My opinion is it works great.

They haven't had too much fish strain on them so I wouldn't worry too much about it... Maybe another season and you'll get the hang of it :D

Latest posts

Back