Crimp or Not

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
I neck size all my once fired brass that I load for my bold action rifles. I haven't crimped them and got wondering today what others do.

I let the rifle tell me. Most often, they like it better without a crimp, but a few like crimps. Light bullets and/or slow powder seem to be the ones that like the crimps the best. I just try them both ways and the rifle will let me know what it likes. I'm a fan of the Lee collet style crimp for bottleneck cases.
I'm the same with full length, partial full length and neck sizing. I let the rifle tell me what it wants. Rifle chambers aren't always perfectly round or straight. In those situations, neck sized brass should be aligned with the chamber the same way every time. The same techique should be used when sizing the brass. That is, it should be indexed to the sizing die.

Don't you just love "depends" answers??? :lol:
YMMV

The lee crimper is what I use for bullets made for an auto loader and lever action. I've had great success with other calibers with out crimping. Just wondering about my 300 WSM. As I get close to the max powder charge it appears that I'm flirting with compressed loads. Also, this is a pretty heavy recoiling rifle. I suppose what is important is consistency. If I crimp one, I'll crimp them all.

In a bolt action rifle, I just about wouldn't crimp for anything. I always use a neck die and if using a neck die other than a Lee Collet die I usually only size PART of the neck. I've used very compressed loads over the years too such as 91.0gr H-1000/180gr bullet in a .300 Weatherby and H870(79gr?)(ball powder) in a 7mmRemMag(many others as well these two just come to mind). I've never had a problem in any way.

I usually tried to make my ammo match factory specs and would run in any gun in that caliber. So I always crimped everything except my 25-06 varmint gun.

Latest posts

Back