Need supply list - TRADITIONS SHOOTERS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTClark

Reaction score
now i need your help to make sure i get all supples for ML and i do have some here i just bought, 
what i have right now is 
flask valve brass
measure flask
breech plug clean brush
speed loading tube in regular and magnum

what do i need

cleaning supplies

range needed

hunting need

can Ml to be storage in gun case as usually ? 
do i need a extra ramrod for cleaning and range ?? 

throw me a list so i can write down list before i can make some ordered after new year plus a ML rifle too….

What rifle do you have and what powder do you plan on shooting? We can save you a bunch of $$ with knowing those 2 things.

the rifle i going to get this friday is LDR and the powder i plan shoot is BH209

oh okay excellent, thats easy then LOL.

The links I am going to give are from the traditions site but you do not have to order directly from them, its just easier to show you what you WILL need and give you the basic idea of what these items look like.

Items you need when shooting loose powder:  Click on item titles to go to the live link

Powder Measure
</a><a href="https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t395-lane-s-powder-tubes">Lanes Powder Tubes
Powder Flask ( I see you already have that on your list)

Loading your Projectile must haves:
Bullet Seating Jag
Short starter
Capper
Range Rod

Cleaning Supplies:
Cleaning Jag
Breech Brush Set
Bristle brush " Old tooth brush works great as well"

Now because you are using Blackhorn209, You made my job extremely east on this part.

No live link, walmart and most gun stores have this in supply

Bore Cleaners & Rust Protectent
Birchwood Casey 2 in 1 Bore Scrubber "Cleans BH209 very easily"
Birchwood Casey Barricade " Protection inside & outside of rifle!"

Breech Plug:
For your breech plug you will have to go down to the hardware store and pick up an 1/8" drill bit to de-carbon your breech plugs flash channel like the diagram below: Do this every 6 to 10 shots to keep primer gasses flowing smooth.
bp_diagram.jpg

Tune Up!

The Traditions inlines, suffer the same fate as CVA inlines, they are built with loose headspace so you can pretty much use any 209 primer without trouble. The problem with Traditions and loose headspace, the frame is softer alloy which easily dents when the rifle is fired and the primer blows back into the frame. A very very simple fix to make it last a life time as well as keep it 100% blow by free is to install a single O ring found HERE 

Shipping is not expensive for these and you get a big supply of them. These O rings last anywhere from 30 to 60 shots depending how good you are at keeping your plugs flash channel clean.
DSCN3802.jpg

My LDR I had last year,
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t3892-traditions-ultra-light-ldr?highlight=traditions+ldr

I almost forgot, the rubber O ring around the breech plug as shown in the picture below, Keep it lubed with a light coating of white lithium grease! If installed dry, you could end up cutting it or wear it out much faster. So just a light coat of grease on it each time you install it after cleaning, and you'll be all set.
DSCN3796.jpg

FrontierGander said:
I almost forgot, the rubber O ring around the breech plug as shown in the picture below, Keep it lubed with a light coating of white lithium grease! If installed dry, you could end up cutting it or wear it out much faster. So just a light coat of grease on it each time you install it after cleaning, and you'll be all set.
DSCN3796.jpg
where can i find that grease at ? i just make lists already, and can i find that size of o ring in this site who sell or have it, i might will need tons of them to put in gun box

Our autozone only carry crap that is made in china so I give it a very wide berth .

JTClark said:
FrontierGander said:
DSCN3796.jpg
the o ring on this breech and the headspce have 2 different size ? so both can be order from Mcmaster ? 
would it use to stretch and put it on around the breech

I believe what he is talking about with the smaller o-ring is to put it in the primer pocket.

005_zps825af47c.jpg

006_zpsab03383b.jpg

oh you have to go directly to Traditions for that o ring, they actually have them listed on their website under accessories.

ok thanks for showing pictures and things that i'm learning a lot and the blowback plug, and would you like to see breech plug made for anti blow back without worry about shim or o ring in future for gerneal  inlines ?

bronze bore brush is always a must have for us BP shooters. Use the cleaning jag to wipe the fouling out with patches and then after the bore has been dried, spray/apply some bore oil in the cotton swab and swab it in the bore to protect against rust.

ok FG, i have see there is a full brass and brush jags and what do full brass does to bore from any size which don't have a brush on it… 
tradition sell cleaning jag in 3 set bronze, cotton and 1 other look like a brass

the full brass jag is for cleaning patches. In a 50cal you will want 2 1/2" diameter patches. I just cut up old t shirts for my cleaning.

curious about primer remove after fired, does it come out easy or do i need a primer extractor to remove it out ? i just check it out and already make addition list to order very soon…

Back