Hawkens and 32" 50 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbuck9

Reaction score
I have been off for some time due too a neck injury, infact sold some of my flinters, well this morning I found a 50 cal hawkens in excellant condition with a new green mountain barrell which is 32", which I believe is a 1:70 twist, should be a great roud ball shooter and maybe some pa.
conicals, the gun balances great, any thoughts on a good hunting load and ball size 490-495, I strictly shoot goex powder,
this is my first green mountain barrel so Ill have too play alittle,
The gun came with a tang peep and the front sight has the brass bead on the sight, also have the factory sight,
come on now Dave I know you have a load fo this puppy, thanks all for my long post Iam just so glad too be back in action. God Bless

Try 90 grains of Goex 2f and a .015-.018 patch with a .490 ball. I have the same rifle in .54 and that is the load it likes. At 50 yards it just stacks them in there. That was a great find with the peep sight and all.

I was thinking on those same lines Dave 90 2f, what is the green mountain Max load for RB , thanks , John

I think they post it at 110 grains of powder but I would not swear to it.

Well I took the new too me Hawkins out this morning with the GM 1:70
It was very damp and misty, I thought this would be a good test, I got too the range only 2 miles from the house and the wind pics up, Oh Boy, well Iam here now and I have'int shot in a year, Iam sooting set my target out at 50 yards, and loaded up using 90 grs. of goexff and a 495 ball .018 pillow ticking, I was a little worried how my neck was going too react so the first 3 shots I pulled too the right and low , too be honest I was a little scared, now my neck feels fine, Iam good too go ,so I swab the bore and get down too pure focus, WOW is too say the least,
I shot 5 rounds no cleaning between shots and shot a slightly under 3" group, The corners of my mouth were touching my ears thats how big the smile was on my old kisser, this gun has a fantastic lock time, Imean touch off and gone, I really fell into it comming across this gun,
I used cayuga's moosemilk recipe worked great, and the gun was right therebulleyes I used a 25yard pistol target, I would not be afraid too take a neck shot with this rocklock under 50 Yards, so then I played alittle, we have some steel gongs I set them up there like 10" Dia.
and was knocking them down as fast as I could load off hand at 50 yards, I just cannot believe this gun, those GM 1:70 round ballers
are great and with the lock on this gun , Iam a happy happy camper, thanks for hearing out my long post but Oh Boy, Iam like a little kid again, good shooting too all.

I should have proof read my post , that was slightly under a 2" group,
It will be 495 RB's in the pa deer woods this year.

jbuck9:

Great post.........Happy that you are so excited to get back outds & hunting.

I'm recovering from 2 foot surgeries nyself...... I've had the boys,My son & son-in-law deliver me to the blind so I didn't have to walk as far......

Good Luck out there......

Sure felt good too smell the old goex burn again, and watch the smoke drift off with the wind, even with the wind it was a great time at the range.

Back