T/C Models

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlm

Reaction score
Ok a stupid question, being new to this what is the difference between T/C Hawken and a Renegade and New Englander. Also how do you tell the difference all being side lock percussion. Thanks Roger

The Hawkins has a wooden stock, brass patch box, brass nose cap, brass butt plate, fancy stock, and they are the fancy top of the line models. They have a 28 inch barrel with a 1-48 twist. Their .50 caliber is 15/16th on the flats. Their .54 is 1 inch on the flats.

The Renegade is a wooden stock, no brass, 26 inch barrel. While they are not decorated, they are a work horse rifle. Also they have a little higher raise in the comb on the stock. All their calibers are 1 inch on the flats.

The New Englander is the plain jane of the sidelocks. They can have a wooden stock if it is an older model, but most of them have a black composite stock. They are well made, good shooters, just not fancy. A real meat and potatoes rifle. All of theirs is 15/16th on the flats I believe.

I have all three of the above rifles. All of them are great shooters. I personally like the Renegades, but for comfort shooting, the Hawkins is a better rifle to absorb recoil.

The New Englander is the plain jane of the sidelocks. They can have a wooden stock if it is an older model, but most of them have a black composite stock. They are well made, good shooters, just not fancy. A real meat and potatoes rifle. All of theirs is 15/16th on the flats I believe.

cayuga,

You better get that New Englander out and knock the dust off her, I have never seen a New Englander that didn't have a round barrel. If yours has flats, it must be dust! :lol:

You may be thinking of the Renegade Hunter? Single trigger, black hardware like the New Englander.

I think you have too many rifles, and I think you have too many rifles! :wink:

new englander

My NE is 1:48 50 caliber. It is the wood model. It is a round barrel.

Just went and looked at my NE and it has a round barrel, has had one since 1992 when I got it. I like mine, 1:48 50cal. big fun to shoot. Composit stock, Rynite I think they called it, it was always slick feeling in my hands. I wraped it in como tape like a baseball bat handle, works good now.

I have a New Englander in 50 with wood stock also. Found it in a pawnshop last year for 75 dollars. Couldn't pass it up. A little pitting in bore, but doesn't affect accuracy. Used to have a New Englander wood stock in 54 caliber. Sold it to fund another purchase, but don't even remember what now. You'll be happy with any T/C rifle in my opinion.

You are right of course, the Hawkins and Renegade have the octagon barrels and the New Englander have a round barrel. But both of my New Englanders are very plain Jane. Like the Renegades, but the Renegades have a little more beef in the stocks, and thicker through the grip and stock, compared to the New Englander. My PA Hunter is a nice rifle if you can find one of them. And I might add, almost all of my T/C rifles are great shooters but a little big of powder hogs. They like a good strong charge.

I was wrong in describing the New Englander as 15/16th on the flats. Just been doing that comparison too many years. But their dimensions are such that for the stock channel.

You are also right in that I have collected too many of them. I am done collecting rifles for the most part. I have actually passed on some good deals lately and not bought them. Although I have a couple more I want to add to the collection, they are down the road.

new englander

something else about the plain jane New Englander, you can get a 12 gauge barrel and or a 54 caliber barrel to shhot on the same stock.

Latest posts

Back