Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firestick

Reaction score
Picked up a NA buffalo Hunter in very nice shape today. #19349 XXVI. My research says it is from 1970. Not much else I can find about them. What can you guys tell me about it? Came with 2 boxes of round balls and patches but I was under the impression they shot boolits.

I've never owned one but they look like a fun shooter. I like the .58 cal too......they make nice big holes. 😀 You'll be happy with it.

mostly a sporterized Zoave rifle with same barrel so shoulds shoot minies or RBs. got pics ??

Had a Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter, no problems for a 70's muzzleloader like some others of that time were experiencing. Shot my first buffalo (second shot) with one of these rifles, name fit the job being done [Buffalo Hunter] .... :cheers:

Any recommendations for "projectiles" besides prb? The rifling is very shallow it appears to me.

Any recommendations for "projectiles" besides prb? The rifling is very shallow it appears to me.

My US 1841 .54 has rifling about .006" which is not really shallow but certainly more shallow than most round ball guns. Nevertheless, it shoots prb like nobody's business. It's just a matter of ball size, patch thickness and lube.

Val Forgett took one to Africa & killed a zebra, a lion and other game with it. Article is in the Lyman Black Powder Handbook of 1974. 610 grain Minie style bullet, from special molds made by Shiloh Products, ahead of 125 gr. FFFg powder. He had another .58, a Hawken style rifle which was longer and heavier than the Buffalo Hunter, in which he used the same bullet with 180 grains of FFFg to shoot an elephant. Unfortunately the shot missed the brain but plowed through 18" of bone; the PH killed it with a .458 Mannlicher. He also used it on a hippo and a Cape Buffalo with better results.

Attachments

• Buffalo_HUnter.jpg
    Buffalo_HUnter.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I had a one and it shot the Lee R.E.A.L cast bullets well. Didn't shoot patched round ball very well, I think the rifling is too shallow. I never tried them but I think minie bullets should work fine too.

Val Forgett took one to Africa & killed a zebra, a lion and other game with it.
For those that don't know the name Val J. Forgett, Jr., (July 31, 1930 – November 25, 2002). He founded the Navy Arms Company, Inc., in 1956 and is internationally recognized as the "father of the modern replica firearms business". Forgett created and designed over 100 different replica firearms models in his life time.

I'll have to find some conical types and give them a try. Think I will use a wad under them. Need a spare nipple and a wrench Looks like it uses a 5/16-24 square nipple.

I'll have to find some conical types and give them a try. Think I will use a wad under them. Need a spare nipple and a wrench Looks like it uses a 5/16-24 square nipple.

If it will shoot PRB's very well, why fix it if it isn't broke.........

If it will shoot PRB's very well, why fix it if it isn't broke.........

It isn't known if it shoots PRB "well". It was designed to shoot a conical so that is what I'll try along with PRB. No matter what I shoot projectiles will have to be ordered as no one around here has .58 cal ANYTHING. I will see what "bullets" do as time goes on. No matter what it should be a fun road to travel!

Back