My under hammer build, bout done

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After being active on this site for a couple of months I feel like I'm building the "red headed step child" of muzzle loading. No, pretty she ain't to some, bit I like'um. 1" X 28" 50 cal. Colerain 1/56 twist. Action and bbl work from Petatonica LR Supply, Brass grip modified T/C, Stock wood of Russian Olive, Marble sights. Please be gentle as I'm a very sensitive fellow LOL. My first BP build. I also left the wood a little proud for down the road redo. Leaving the true oil to "tighten up" for a few then steel wool and apply final coats. Steel checkered Niedner style buttplate. Mountain lion with this gun is on my "Bucket List". (Gotta hurry, I'm not gittin' younger). Still small things to do like counter sink the grip screws a little more etc. but time is taken up with trapping and other projects for a short. P1010015.JPGP1010011.JPGP1010013.JPGP1010014.JPGP1010019.JPGP1010020.JPGP1010015.JPGP1010011.JPGP1010013.JPGP1010014.JPGP1010019.JPGP1010020.JPGOut

You have built a beautiful underhammer rifle and I think you did a masterful job. My first muzzleloader was a .45 underhammer that has seen tons of use over the last 55 or so years. I ordered it from Numrich Arms way back in the 1960s and still have it. Not remotely as nice as your build but here's a photo.
PICT0387-1.jpg

Ron Long of "Long Locks" built me a three barrel (interchangeable) underhammer years ago, (.40 cal., .58 cal. and a 20 gauge shotgun) won some major matches that year with this gun. Then Ron built several more, we controlled the mid western states matches until they made a special class for underhammers. And outlawed them for several of the national matches, we were told to shoot your own matches.

You have built a beautiful underhammer rifle and I think you did a masterful job. My first muzzleloader was a .45 underhammer that has seen tons of use over the last 55 or so years. I ordered it from Numrich Arms way back in the 1960s and still have it. Not remotely as nice as your build but here's a photo.
PICT0387-1.jpg
Beautiful, great work

That is purely lovely! Like Hanshi, my first M/L rifle was a Numrich Arms "Hopkins & Allen" Heritage model underhammer, which I foolishly sold about 15 years ago. It was not nearly as nice as yours, looked exactly like what Hanshi posted except that I had the little lollipop tang peep sight. Wish someone would make those again; they were real neat. I like what you did with the T-C trigger guard grip. That was what set the Heritage model apart, was having the brass grip which was supposed to also strengthen the throw on the hammer. You should have many years of fun with that little jewel!

~WH~

Beautiful gun Mossie. Dare I ask why they shoot any better or worse than a side lock? Also I guess you pinch the cap on and hope for the best in a hunting situation. I love the way it looks. Never seen one in person I don't think.

Beautiful gun Mossie. Dare I ask why they shoot any better or worse than a side lock? Also I guess you pinch the cap on and hope for the best in a hunting situation. I love the way it looks. Never seen one in person I don't think.
not as much stuff in your line of sight ( hammer). smooth just like mounting a shotgun. I file down the nipple a little and the caps stay on fine. Also although period correct it is direct ignition, yet still not a inline which ignites it powder charge from the rear and I'm told results in a more uniform, progressive burning. I am not privy to equipment that measures in milliseconds so I don't know if it truly puts the sidelock percussion at a disadvantage as the local whiners claim. It is my belief it is " THE MAN BEHIND THE GUN" that makes the difference. Hello Buck..Out here for a short, gotta XL pale yodie to put on the board this morning, but I'll be back to defend myself or eat crow.

not as much stuff in your line of sight ( hammer). smooth just like mounting a shotgun. I file down the nipple a little and the caps stay on fine. Also although period correct it is direct ignition, yet still not a inline which ignites it powder charge from the rear and I'm told results in a more uniform, progressive burning. I am not privy to equipment that measures in milliseconds so I don't know if it truly puts the sidelock percussion at a disadvantage as the local whiners claim. It is my belief it is " THE MAN BEHIND THE GUN" that makes the difference. Hello Buck..Out here for a short, gotta XL pale yodie to put on the board this morning, but I'll be back to defend myself or eat crow.
Do you only stretch on "the board"(wood), or do you also use the wire stretches ?

Tried wire, don't have as much control over stretching as on wood. I'll post some pics on the trapping forum of the stretchers I make and use. Out

I've always had a soft spot for underhammers. Never got around to owning one but came close a few times. Yours is the nicest one I've ever seen. Great job.

I'm pretty sure the reason I have a soft spot for underhammers is that I had so much fun and so many adventures with mine that it's like an old friend. That H&A has a graceful, slender profile and that helps. But yours, WOW!

I'm pretty sure the reason I have a soft spot for underhammers is that I had so much fun and so many adventures with mine that it's like an old friend. That H&A has a graceful, slender profile and that helps. But yours, WOW!
Comments like yours and Rhinos is sure to cost me money. I'll be inspired to do another one especially with my trapping season gone to poop this year. Thanx to you all for your favorable comments. Out

Gotta spend your dough on something; I can't think of anything better to spend it on.

Latest posts

Back