My T/C With Hawken With Rice Barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

Reaction score
So This started as a T/C Hawken with 50 Cal. 1:48 28"
I had Jason at Rice barrel's make me a 30" 1:66 twist with deep flat grooves
and install my new T/C breech plug.
My gun smith installed the sights/underlug/rib and thimbles.
I installed the nipple and placed the barrel in the stock 😆
Still need to brown it, I have Laurel Mountain browning solution.
Any tips for browning would be appreciated.
Took it to the range this morning and it showing great potential.
My patches were to dry to good work but I wanted to run a few balls down range anyway.
Here is a pic of how she sits right now.

51126051321_e123a9b4f7_c.jpg

You are going to be having fun with that one for many years to come !!

If I could get it up here in Canada, I would use Laurel Mountain Forge browning solution. With the results I’ve seen in other bp builders work it looks pretty dang good IMO. However, since I can’t get it -due to hazmat fees etc- I use Birchwood Casey Plum brown as already mentioned. Whichever ever direction you go with that decision in the end you will have a mighty fine looking muzzleloader that would turn heads I’m sure. Enjoy your prize :)

I have used LMF browning solution on a number of BP guns, and it is great stuff. Just follow the directions and it is pretty fool-proof. It can also be used to blue stuff; I had a smoothbore barrel made up by Bobby Hoyt which came to me in the white. I used the LMF according to their instructions to blue it and it turned out pretty decent.

Attachments

• Smoothbore-0.JPG
    Smoothbore-0.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 5
In 1984 when I made my first tc hawken I bought a browning agent at the gun shop worked great. Bichloride of mercury. Can't get it now except from chemical companies. Gonna try and see how the current stuff compares.

Latest posts

Back