my son and I and the game warden

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

backwoodsman1

Reaction score
This past winter my son and I decided to do some ice fishing in the highup in Arizona, so we headed up on a nice day, with a breeze  to make it interesting. The road had been bladed so there was a row of snow along the edge of the road. We parked on the edge of the road, and loaded up and walked out on the lake. The middle of the lake was free of ice and the breeze rippled the water. We walked out a ways and checked the ice depth, four inches, so we drilled four or five holes, set our chairs up and then put some corn down a couple of holes. Put corn on our hooks and waited. Well, we had it hot and heavy and were soon at our limits, so we took those fish ashore and stuck em in a snow bank, then returned to our chairs and started over again. Before long we lacked a fish each of having our limits when a game warden comes by, gets out and hollers for us to come ashore so he can check our licenses. I told him if he wanted to see mine, to just come on out. Every now and then the water ripples would send a crack all the way to shore, and one side of the crack would raise half an inch, but no water surfaced. The game warden starts out and he's a young guy fresh out of college, no brains. Half way out the ice cracks again and the crack ran right between his legs. He hollers, have a nice day, and dashes for shore, hops in his pickup and drives off. We caught another fish to finish our limits, gathered up and walked back to the pickup and put our catch in the ice chest and left another direction. I've been skunked on that lake so many times I didn't feel bad at all. It was a great day. :bounce:

I've never had any interest in ice fishing and don't know what the laws are. How are you allowed to catch the limit twice in one day?

You wouldn't have got away with telling that to a Colorado warden.

thanks for your story, it was fun and interesting. in n.dak a few years back a fellow worker was tired of the local gamewarden being such a jerk and bothering the fellow workers and his friends when ice fishing on the american side of the canadian border. the law was when you have a ice house you cant lock the door. so they put two doors in their ice house, one in front and one in back. they locked the back one which was legal as the front one was unlocked. sure enough the game warden came that day and tried to open the door faceing the shore and it was locked. he started screaming and yelling and pounding on the door like a mad man as was typical of him. my fellow worker let this go on for a couple of minutes then walked out the unlocked door, around the ice house and when the gamewarden saw him he just said. what? the game warden saw he had been had as the inside of the ice house was filled with laughter. he just turned and left and said nothing.

Here the river stays open year round. It gets cold out but river stays at 55 degrees.

oneshot

Bear Claw said:
I've never had any interest in ice fishing and don't know what the laws are. How are you allowed to catch the limit twice in one day?

You wouldn't have got away with telling that to a Colorado warden.
Yep, these Colorado Wardens don't have a sense of humor.  Don't get caught using DuPont Spinners either, Bear Claw knows all about using them.  :affraid:   :bball:

I have to agree on catching twice your Daily Limit. Here you catch your Daily Limit you are done for the day that is why it is called Daily Limit. Then you are allowed to come out next day and catch your limit again but not twice the same day.

Seen many Tickets for this.

oneshot

conner said:
Yep, these Colorado Wardens don't have a sense of humor.  Don't get caught using DuPont Spinners either, Bear Claw knows all about using them.  :affraid:   :bball:
WARNING don't use black powder packets (Dupont Spinners) in an aluminum boat - those old pop riveted seams open up. Man that hurts your elbows when the bottom goes out .... :|    :slaps:   :Questuon:   I think the wardens damn near messed their drawers when that happened, it took a while before they came over with their flashlights to see if we were OK. Yes we got fined .... :cools:

Oneshot
 What river are you near in the Ozarks? We lived in Hartshorn for several years near Current,and Jacks Fork also fished the Niangua and eleven point.

mark1945 said:
Oneshot
 What river are you near in the Ozarks? We lived in Hartshorn for several years near Current,and Jacks Fork also fished the Niangua and eleven point.
Niangua. By Bennett Springs Trout Park, West of Lebanon.

Lived here many years my Son grew up loading and Unloading Canoes and Rafts for Floaters.

oneshot

Oneshot
I lived in Fair Grove many years before moving to Hartshorn I have spent a many day fishing at Bennet Spring and floating the Niangua. I dont think I could even get in a canoe anymore without something breaking.
Mark

I love my Kodiak 72 cal Its fun to shoot cant tell if it has more recoil then my 58. I have sights adjusted pretty well about 2 in apart at 70 yds .

That's not bad for modern muzzle-loading side by sides, I have only shot one that had both barrels hit at 50 yards in the same place. It was built by Doc White and was sold to a friend of his that was an outfitter in Africa that he uses.

Conner
I could probably get them closer if I took more time as each barrel has its own sight. If the heat wave were having ever lets up just a little Im gonna play some more and try to get them closer . Think Im going to put one of the Pedersoli ghost ring sights on my 58 to see how they do rear sights are getting harder to see good for my old eyes.

Mark, I hear you about eye sight. I just had both eye lenses replaced, now back to 20/20 but had to make a choice either you see long distances or you can read small print. I went with the distance lenses and use reading glasses for the small print.

Here's a little different sight arrangement on one of my original doubles, this one was built by Wm. Evans in Philadelphia PA era. 1850's.

shotgu1.gif
Single blade front sight.​
shotgu2.gif
Double notch rear sight.​
Have seen several original doubles using this setup, usually elephant guns more than combination small bore shotguns. May be an option for you, at least something to think about.

I have read that you can get your barrels to hit closer to the same POI by grinding off a bit of either barrel on the side you want it to shoot to. In other words, if your right barrel shoots 4 or 5" to the right of your left barrel at a certain distance, grind a small amount off the left side of the muzzle of the right barrel and it will make the gun shoot closer to the other barrel. 

I have never tried this but I have read about it a few times. It might work.

patocazador said:
I have read that you can get your barrels to hit closer to the same POI by grinding off a bit of either barrel on the side you want it to shoot to. In other words, if your right barrel shoots 4 or 5" to the right of your left barrel at a certain distance, grind a small amount off the left side of the muzzle of the right barrel and it will make the gun shoot closer to the other barrel. 

I have never tried this but I have read about it a few times. It might work.
That doesn't sound like a good solution to me. :affraid:   :roll:

A guy from England says it works ... up to a point. He said to do it a mm at a time and check it.   :Questuon:

I will stick with my couple of inches apart thats close enough for me .With my luck Id take to much or do the wrong side .I have a hard enough time remembering which rear sight is adjusted for which barrel .  So far the best change Ive done to both is to get the Pedersoli 209 adapters , absolutly no miss fires and lock time is much faster then using <a href='/tags/11s' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11s'>#11s</a>

patocazador said:
A guy from England says it works ... up to a point. He said to do it a mm at a time and check it.   :Questuon:
How young do you have to be to finally get one tuned-in if the gun shoots like Mark's. I agree with Mark and would be happy the way it is..... :Red tup:   Good old "Kentucky Windage"..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back