Wide groups with BH209 and New Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshsmit56001

Reaction score
I shot over 40 rounds today in my brand new omega Z5. I am using around 90grains of BH209 and CCIM primers with 3 different bullets. I tried the 240gr XTP that TC sells, the 250 grain Shockwaves with the superglide sabot and with the black sabot. The XTP seemed to shoot better for me but dropped a lot at 200 yards.

Some of the shots would be pretty close together but I would have one that would be quite a bit off. I should also mention that it was quite windy with the wind coming from my backside. How much can this effect it?

Thanks,
Josh

A 10 mph wind will have a huge effect at 100 yards. That is why the groups tend to string horizontally when it's windy. One of the ballistic calculators you can find on the net will show you what to expect based on the particulars of your load.

Your gun needs to be shot in a bit and I'll bet the groups will tighten up.Everything is tight? scope, rings etc?
Good luck friend.

Make an Omega shoot better...

Well for starters, you've got a great gun and per the feedback on this site, you're using a great bullet and powder...

Now you might have to do what I did for my Omega -- try different sabots until you find the one that works best for your bore.

Your mileage may vary, but also based on great reports from this site, I've turned a "group shooter" Omega into a real tackdriver by using Harvester's Crushed Rib sabots in my X7. (Check my recent posts...)

Good luck, and tight groups!

Old No7

Try 100 grains of BH. That seems to be a common amount of powder that works well out of Omegas but every gun is diifernt so you may need more or less in your gun.

Thanks for the quick response guys. Scope is on nice and tight. I think the biggest problem was the wind and number two the brand new gun. I noticed as I shot more it became a bit easier to load the bullets. I might go to the range again before deer season starts and see if I can't get it down perfect.

How quickly were you shooting? Heat may be a factor in your accuracy. The hotter the barrel gets the worse the accuracy will be.

Omega

To begin with I think you should forget about shooting 200 yards until you get the rifle to group well at 100 yards. You stated you are shooting "around" 90 gr BH209. Forget the around, you must shoot 90 gr all the time or 95 gr or 100gr. Not around, you must be consistence with your powder charge. You need to find the right bullet and combine it with the right sabot. This will take time.
My Omega Z5 will shoot a 1" group all the time. I finally settled on a 260gr Scorpion PT Gold bullet with a Harvester Crushed Rib Sabot pushed by 110gr BH209 using a CCI 209M Primer. Took a while and some bucks but this load works for me.
Using the 200 yard crosshair on my scope I will hit about 4" low at 200 yards and group well. This is if conditions are right for a 200 yard shot.
Take your time and work up a load that works in your gun. The Omega Z5 is a great gun but it needs time to get it right.
Also make sure you keep your breech plug clean. Use a 1/8 inch drill bit to keep the flame channel open.
Good luck and have fun.

Omega!

I agree that you might need a few more rounds through that barrel to get the accuracy your looking for. I had an omega Z5 and it also liked the the 260gr PT Golds pushed by 100Gr volume BH209, or 300gr PT Gold and 110gr BH209. Just make sure you have a snug fitting sabot when using BH209. If it slides easily down the barrel, it will not group in my experience with BH209. You might also make sure to index your sabots if you get an ocasional flyer from your group. Just make sure the slits in the sabot are lined up with the groves in the barrel, not the lands. Doing this every shot can help reduce flyers.

It took about 150 rds thru mine before I started getting real good groups and consistant groups. Loads much easy now too. The more I shoot it the better it gets much more tolerant of different bullets now too.

Well I got some of the harvester crushed rib sabots along with some 250gr .452" hornady FTX rounds to try out. Hopefully this works out for me as it is cheaper then the shockwaves.

My Omega shot well immediately. I started with 100gr BH209 and W209 primers and haven't even bothered to try another charge weight/volume. The 240gr XTPs and 250gr Shockwaves shot into the same ragged hole group at 100 yards. 300gr Shockwaves shot slightly higher. I've also shot the 250gr Hornady FTX in TC packaged sabots, TC Superglide Shockwaves and mostly whatever I had on hand. My rifle doesn't seem fussy at all.

Just for S&G, I loaded 80gr BH209 under .490"RBs in Hornady RB sabots, and they shot fine at 50 yards.

Went to the range today and the omega shot a lot better.

I was using 90Gr BH209, CCIM primer, Harvester crushed rib sabot, and the hornady 250Gr FTX bullet.

gunrange1.jpg

The red was with 100Gr and the green with 90Gr

Omega

I always do the 100 strokes of JB past in my new guns. This helps get the stuff all out of the barrel and smooths it out. I do not know if it was that or the fact that the Omega is a great gun.( probably both) Mine shot 1" groups out of box with 100gr BH209, 200 gr hornady ftx and crush ribs :p

Latest posts

Back