Lehigh Conversion on my Disc 45cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwd571

Reaction score
It is not clean in my gun. The load was as follows; 80 gr. weighed Blackhorn, Fed209a, 180 gr. XTP, tan sabot. Ten shots fired over the span of 2 hours. After the 4th shot the bolt became very hard to open. The blowback was terrible. The gun is a shooter as the bullseye was pretty well shot out. The plug was installed with my savage lube and tightned to stop. There has to be some work done on this to make it clean as my Savage.

Mike

Wow, that is dirty.

I was using upto two times the bullet weight and 50% more powder in my 54cal and the bolt/primer adapter is almost spotless. The outside of my breach plug is far cleaner too. I even fired more than double the number of shots.

Ive heard the 45cal are built with a bit more tolerance so that may be part of the reason. I didnt try Federal primers but i did try the CCI209M and its nearly identical to the Feds.

IMO head spacing is going to be tough to adjust for in so many versions of the Extremes and Elites. You cant take a bolt from two identical centerfire guns and achieve the correct head space usually. The same issue is going to effect this conversion or any NFPJ conversion.

A shim kit used inside the primer pocket might be the only semi permanent solution for a tight primer seal. Different versions may also be needed for the 45 and use a smaller pocket on the vent liner side. Having a 50cal liner pocket in a 45cal bore could be causing it also.

If you get another chance, can you try some Win209 primers? They are one of the longest primers and worked fairly well in mine. Or Cheddites, they have a slightly larger OD.

The more feed back we get, the easier it will be for Dave to come up with a solution.

Im very sorry you didnt have the luck i did.

WoW! Looks like alot of grease blew back thru the threads :think:

Did ya just screw your plug in finger tight?? Cause with BH209 you must make your plug good and Tight.

I don't use any grease or tape anymore with BH. Just screw my plug in naked and tight :wink:

Just put Savage grease on the front of the threads, I will try naked next time out. It was in really tight!. You should see the primer pocket in the bolt, it is Black! Either the primer pocket holder is too wide or too long but the blowback from the primer going off seems to be the problem as there wasnt a good seal to stop this.

Mike

Not getting a good seal is inviting gas cutting. I suggest some Teflon tape.

I didnt use anything on mine either, only the left over anti seize i added to the factory FPJ plug. I added nothing to the Lehigh breach plug. Plus i did have to make mine fairly tight for the bolt to close.

Mine locks up very tight but not too tight for a quick reload. And primers still can remove without excessive effort.

I will be using the FPJ for hunting. I just wanted another option for range use.

Latest posts

Back